1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirror reflection question

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    I'm studying for a test that is going to cover mirrors and lenses. I was under the impression that the focal length for any concave or convex mirror was half the radius of curvature:

but one of the questions in my book involving a convex mirror uses a different value for f, according to the solutions manuel. It says that:

of all the questions i've encountered while studying for this test, f has always been r/2. can someone help explain why f can be 2/r?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

That does seem like a typo. As r gets bigger, f will grow. Can you state the exact problem from the text?
  4. Nov 1, 2006 #3
  5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    So was that a typo? Test tomorrow...
  6. Nov 1, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it was a typo. They meant to say 1/f = 2/r and that is the way they used it in the problem. The right hand side of the next to last line replaced the 1/f with -2/20yd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?