Is Miss Teen USA perpetuating outdated beauty standards?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teen Usa
In summary: I flipped further and saw a contestant in a swimsuit and I was like...ewwwwww. If I win, I want to bring peace to the world through my baton twirling skills.
Math Is Hard said:
:rofl:

To make things worse, in spite of the horrendous map shortage in the U.S., she wants to give out maps to children in other countries!

Hey, Miss S. Carolina! We can afford to go handing out maps willy-nilly to foreigners! There are U.S. Americans who need them! Charity begins at home, honey.
We should never hand out maps to foreigners. If we do, the terrorists will know where to find us and "follow us home" after we "cut and run". :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org

:confused: that girl has lost her way

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:

:rofl: What was the question again?

Moonbear said:
I'd have probably stumbled over my words too trying to figure out some way to respond to such a lame question.

Yes, assuming that she's not a complete idiot, she probably just went into brain lock. The real question in my mind is whether or not she could identify the US on a world map... if she had a map.

Monique said:

Is she related to Bush? That sounds like the way he rambles off topic when he answers a question. :biggrin:

<enter witty comment here>. Geography, Bush-bashing and free choice, roly poly hodge podge of Americans looking over their shoulders. I say give the primped up girls a chance to strut it. It only exists because there is a market. And people may do as they please, that's democracy, which is what Bush supposedly tramped into his way into the Middle East for, mapping his plan of attack, which all is blatantly off topic and makes this post quaintly inconsequential. Q.E.D.

So the war in Iraq was to bring teen pagents in the middle east while at the same time increasing the proportion of the globe that is America and so making it easier for a pagent contestant to find America on the map by pointing at random.
That is at last a better explanation than weapons of mass destruction!

In fact, it's pure evil genius! mwahahahaha!

I think she just zoned out. It happens to professionals, why not her.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20473692/
I never used to watch the pageants until that year when they said the girls wouldn't wear bathing suits. I watched, but it turns out I misinterpretted what they meant.

It is so much worse when you try to read it.

(I removed the quote since it has already been posted on page 2 of the thread, woops)

:rofl::cry:

Last edited:
I particularly enjoyed the repetition of "the Iraq."

- Warren

Judge: Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?

Miss South Carolina: I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so... because uhh some... people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should uh our education over here, in the U.S. should help the U.S. err should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

What's the problem. She answered the question correctly. At least until she started to ramble, but at least she brought it home with a closing sure to work in any situation - "so we will be able to build up our future for our children."

In the geographic survey taken by National Geographic in May 2006, 94% of Americans could locate the US on a map if one was supplied to them. However, only 19% of Americans have a world map and only 15% have a globe. 22% own no other maps besides a city street map.

Clearly, the knowledge is there. If U.S. Americans are unable to locate the U.S. on a map, it's because they don't own a map. (What's worrisome is the large number of Americans that have to steal someone else's map to locate the U.S.)
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/pdf/FINALReport2006GeogLitsurvey.pdf

Last edited:
do they write these stuff for her and ask her to memorize them and say?:confused:

En_lizard said:
do they write these stuff for her and ask her to memorize them and say?:confused:

Just watch the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" and you'll understand all. What a classic! :biggrin:

I'm with bob and jimmy. I still think the video is hilarious, but more as an example of someone who certainly should not take on public speaking than an example of stupidity. some people just can't speak in public, I know a few incredibly bright people who turn into mumbling morons in front of an audience.
:rofl: I can't stop watching this video though, as in, it's too, such as, funny.

Last edited:
That video is hilarious! I agree with the blog Evo quoted. It sounded like she was just naming names of places she was told were top stories in the news. (i.e. she thought, or was told, if she mentioned Iraq enough she'd sound more in tune with current events and sound smart and caring...) This is why the Q&A session MUST stay in these contests!:rofl:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
:rofl:

To make things worse, in spite of the horrendous map shortage in the U.S., she wants to give out maps to children in other countries!

Hey, Miss S. Carolina! We can't afford to go handing out maps willy-nilly to foreigners! There are U.S. Americans who need them! Charity begins at home, honey.
Maybe it's a cunning gov't scheme and they have deliberately deleted the USA off all world maps so terrorists and illegal immigrants can't find it :biggrin:

trinitron said:

I'm trying to figure out if there was a problem with the teleprompter (maybe it was low budget and the guy holding the cue cards was wiggling them too much while he was trying to read them) or if he forgot his glasses that day. :rolleyes: A bit different when trying to read someone else's words scripted for you than to have to free-form your own response under pressure of competition and with a time-limit.

I have had plenty of students perform similarly badly when answering questions under pressure too. The first Q&A at the end of their first talk given to the department can be very painful. Now, there are times when they get stunned because they really haven't given thought to that particular question and aren't yet familiar enough with the subject to answer it adequately, but many times, they really do know the answer and could give it if they were asked informally about it, but the idea of standing in front of a room and answering a question with an entire audience watching has chased all intelligent answers far from their stammering tongue. By the time they get to those questions, it's near the end of the competition and I'm sure anxiety levels are incredibly high.

Art said:
Maybe it's a cunning gov't scheme and they have deliberately deleted the USA off all world maps so terrorists and illegal immigrants can't find it :biggrin:

Brilliant! Now if we could just put a big blue mesh tarp over the country, we'd blend right in with the ocean and they'd never find us!

Math Is Hard said:
Brilliant! Now if we could just put a big blue mesh tarp over the country, we'd blend right in with the ocean and they'd never find us!
I think we should level the cities and plant trees to make them think the US is Canada. Nobody seriously wants to bomb Canada.