Missing something (Newtons law)

In summary, the first solution uses equations to calculate F_p, while the second uses a step by step decomposition of all forces. F_p in the second solution is equal to M+m1+m2, while in the first solution, F_p is equal to m_2*a.
pinsky
attachment.php?attachmentid=29661&stc=1&d=1289048285.gif

Hello there!

I'm trying to solve this in two ways, and i keep getting different solutions. I need to find the force by which M should be pushed for m1 and m2 stand still (compared tom M). There is no friction between anything.

First solution:
[tex]F_{rp} = m_2 \cdot g \: \: \: F_{rp} = m_1 \cdot a \: \: \Rightarrow a = \frac{m_2}{m_1} g
[/tex]

[tex]
F = (M + m_1 + m_2) \cdot a = (M + m_1 + m_2) \cdot \frac{m_2}{m_1} g
[/tex]

So in this solution, I'v observed all the objects as a system, so that's how i got the F=m_total * a.

Second solution:

[tex]F_{rp} = m_2 \cdot g \\\\\\\ F_{rp} = m_1 \cdot a \: \: \Rightarrow a = \frac{m_2}{m_1} g [/tex]

[tex]
m_2 \cdot a = F_p [/tex]

[tex]
F - F_p = a \cdot M \: \: \Rightarrow F = a \cdot (M+m_2)
[/tex]

I've done a step by step decomposition of all forces, but I'm missing the influence of m1.

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• 3_31_zitnik.gif
    3_31_zitnik.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
for second solution:
F - Fp = a . ( M + m1)
Then the final answer will appear as F = (M + m1 + m2) . a

Why so?

If I'm observing the forces diagram for the mass M. There is not a force m1*a having an influence on it.

Could you explain please?

hi pinsky! :smile:

essentially, you're asking is F = (M + m1 + m2)a, or is it only F = (M + m2)a ?

you're thinking that there's no horizontal force between m1 (the top block) and M-plus-m2, the force F is pushing M and m2 but isn't pushing m1, and so why should m1 be included in the F = ma for M-plus-m2 ?

but you're ignoring the forces at the pulley … if the pulley was mounted on a spring, the rope would pull it diagonally down … basically, there's both a horizontal force and a vertical force at the pulley, each of strength Frp, and that horizontal force is an external force on M-plus-m2, making the M equation (F - Frp - Fp) = (M + m2)a :wink:

YES!

Thank you!

I've failed to see the pulley can be considered as a part of M, and that is how m1 influences M.

[SOLVED]

1. What is Newton's Law of Motion?

Newton's Law of Motion is a set of three laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered to be the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will not change their state of motion unless a force is applied to them.

3. How does the second law of motion relate to missing something?

The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the larger the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. If something is missing, it means that there is a change in the acceleration of the object, which can be explained by the second law.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object. This can explain why something may appear to be missing - it may have been affected by an equal and opposite force.

5. How is Newton's Law of Motion applied in real life situations?

Newton's Law of Motion is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects in everyday situations, such as the motion of vehicles, projectiles, and even the movement of the human body. It is also the basis for technologies such as rockets, airplanes, and cars. By understanding these laws, we can design and create more efficient and effective systems in our daily lives.