1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ML-inequality, Estimation of Line Integrals

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Let ##\vec{F}## be a vector function defined on a curve C. Let ##|\vec{F}|## be bounded, say, ##|\vec{F}| ≤ M## on C, where ##M## is some positive number. Show that ##|\int\limits_C\ \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}| ≤ ML ## (L=Length of C).

Attempt at a Solution:

I honestly have no idea where to start with this one. It's not really clear to me exactly what the question is asking me to show.

I understand we have this vector function ##\vec{F}=F_1 \hat{i} + F_2 \hat{j} + F_3 \hat{k} ##, and that's about it... What does it mean to say that the magnitude ##|\vec{F}| ## is "bounded" in such a way that ##|\vec{F}| ≤ M##? Are we imposing a restriction here?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2
    Bring the absolute values within the integral then this |F| in the integral is smaller than [tex]||F||_\infty[/tex]. What remains is a simple line integral.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    Is this what you're saying?

##|\int\limits_C\ \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}| ≤ \int\limits_C\ | \vec{F} | \cdot d\vec{r} ##

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4
    Any help guys?

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5
    Wouldn't ## |\vec{F}|## be a scalar? In which case taking the dot product is undefined in ##\int |\vec{F}| \cdot d\vec{r} ##?

7. Sep 9, 2013 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

yes, the norm of [itex] {\mathbf{F}}[/itex] is a scalar, so your comment about the dot product with [itex] d {\mathbf{r}}[/itex] is correct. If the norm of [itex] {\mathbf{F}}[/itex] is a scalar, what can you do to simplify
    [tex]
    \int_C {\mathbf{F}} \, d{\mathbf{r}} \text{ ?}
    [/tex]

and what remains when you do simplify it? (Hint: it is here where you'll use the assumption that [itex] |\mathbf{F}| \le M [/itex].)

8. Sep 9, 2013 #7
    I'm not really sure how ## \int_C {\mathbf{F}} \, d{\mathbf{r}} ## can be simplified. Can you be more specific?

9. Sep 9, 2013 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

From calculus, you can prove that for smooth ##f(x)## defined on the curve C, (which is in the domain of f(x)) then $$\left|\int f(x)\, dx \right| \leq \int \left| f(x) \right|\,dx$$
    Apply this to your problem.

10. Sep 9, 2013 #9
    I understand that ## \left|\int f(x)\, dx \right| \leq \int \left| f(x) \right| dx\,##, I don't see how that can be applied to this line integral.

11. Sep 9, 2013 #10

CAF123

Gold Member

##|\underline{F}|## is a scalar. How can you reexpress ##\int |\underline{F}|\,d\underline{r}##?

12. Sep 9, 2013 #11
    In the integral ##\int |\vec{F}| \cdot d\vec{r}##, isn't ## |\vec{F}| \cdot d\vec{r} ## undefined since the dot product is an operation between two vectors?

13. Sep 9, 2013 #12

CAF123

Gold Member

It is, but the integral in my last post does not include a dot product.
    If ##k## is a scalar, then ##\int k f(x) dx = ?##
    Once you make this step, use the condition of the boundedness of f.

14. Sep 9, 2013 #13
    ## \int k f(x) dx = k\int f(x)dx ##. So I think you're trying to say ## \int |\vec{F}| d\vec{r} = |\vec{F}| \int d\vec{r}##. Right?

15. Sep 9, 2013 #14

CAF123

Gold Member

Right. Now use the boundedness of ##|\underline{F}|## and evaluate ##\int_C d \underline{r}##

16. Sep 9, 2013 #15
    So since we know that ##|\vec{F}| \leq M## and ##\int d\vec{r}=L## , we have ## \int |\vec{F}| d\vec{r} = |\vec{F}| \int d\vec{r} \leq M \int d\vec{r} = ML##. Yes?

17. Sep 9, 2013 #16

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, you are done.

18. Sep 9, 2013 #17
    CAF123, you're the best!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted