Modeling analytical solution of 1D heat equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an analytical solution, given by Carslaw and Jaeger, for the 1D heat conduction equation in a semi-infinite rod. The code written in MATLAB is used to find the heat distribution at a certain distance from the input with time. There is a discrepancy between the expected output and the output from the code, and it is suggested that the equation may be incorrect for the scenario. The correct equation, as suggested, is a convolution integral with appropriate time delays in the erfc term.
Atr cheema
I am trying to write code for analytical solution of 1D heat conduction equation in semi-infinite rod. The analytical solution is given by Carslaw and Jaeger 1959 (p305) as
$$
h(x,t) = \Delta H .erfc( \frac{x}{2 \sqrt[]{vt} } )
$$
where x is distance, v is diffusivity (material property) and t is time. I have written following code in MATLAB for to find heat distribution at 40 m from the input with time. The input is a sine wave at x=0.
Code:
clear; close all; clc;
x = 40;       % distance from input to observation point
v = 100;      % diffusivity
p = 300;        % number of steps
Ti = 0;       % Initial head
t =  1:p;    % time steps at which calculation is done, lenth(t) should be
equal to length(To)
delH = sin(linspace(0.1,60,p));

h = zeros(1,p);

for m = 1:p
    func = x/(2*sqrt(v*t(m)));
    h(m) = delH(m) * erfc(func);

end
plot(delH)
hold on;
plot(h)
legend('input','output')
xlabel('time(sec)')
ylabel('temperature')

I am not understanding why the output sinewave keeps its amplitude increasing with time? Should it just mimic the input sine wave with reduced amplitude. The yellow line in
g75Yl
this image shows result from finite difference and I expect result from Carslaw to mimic finite difference result.

Science news on Phys.org
Atr cheema said:
I am not understanding why the output sinewave keeps its amplitude increasing with time?
Look at your equation. Is there a clue there? ΔH is your input sine wave; you are multiplying it by a factor that increases with time.
I am wondering whether the equation is the right one for the scenario - is it perhaps for constant ΔH? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember doing something like this some years ago, and I think the equation was of the form
ΔT(x,t) = ΔT0ei(ωt-βx)e-αx
This (or the real part of it) gives at x a sine wave of reduced but constant amplitude, and phase shifted relative to x=0 (which your solution isn't).

mjc123 said:
Look at your equation. Is there a clue there? ΔH is your input sine wave; you are multiplying it by a factor that increases with time.
I am wondering whether the equation is the right one for the scenario - is it perhaps for constant ΔH? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember doing something like this some years ago, and I think the equation was of the form
ΔT(x,t) = ΔT0ei(ωt-βx)e-αx
This (or the real part of it) gives at x a sine wave of reduced but constant amplitude, and phase shifted relative to x=0 (which your solution isn't).
Thank you for your response. You are exactly right that I should have a sine wave at x with constant but reduced amplitude and with a relative phas shift. I am using equation 15 on page 357 of Jan Taler's book. Page 15 is here. Can you please tell me if equation 15 is for this scenario or not?

It's a bit small, and I can't scroll up and down, but it looks to me as if ΔT(x=0) is supposed to be constant. From your table of contents, this section is dealing with "Formula Derivation for Temperature Distribution in a Half-Space with a Step Increase in Surface Temperature", i.e. T(x=0) increases at time t=0 from T0 to T0 + ΔT0 (constant). It looks as if you want p.366 "Formula Derivation for a Quasi-Steady State Temperature Field in a Half-Space when Surface Temperature Changes Periodically".

Likes Atr cheema
You're using the equation incorrectly. In your system, ##\Delta H## the temperature change at the boundary is not constant with time. You need to express the solution to your problem as a convolution integral with appropriate time delays in the erfc term. What would the solution look like if expressed as an integral in this way?

Thank you again for your insightful comments.
mjc123 said:
It's a bit small, and I can't scroll up and down, but it looks to me as if ΔT(x=0) is supposed to be constant. From your table of contents, this section is dealing with "Formula Derivation for Temperature Distribution in a Half-Space with a Step Increase in Surface Temperature", i.e. T(x=0) increases at time t=0 from T0 to T0 + ΔT0 (constant). It looks as if you want p.366 "Formula Derivation for a Quasi-Steady State Temperature Field in a Half-Space when Surface Temperature Changes Periodically".
The problem is that the input function in my real case is not completely sinosoidal but p.366 refers to cases where input is completely periodic. Here is complete Jan Taler's book. Actually in this paper, the author has shown how he used the solution of Carslaw and Jaeger to derive to the final equation. He uses equation equation of Carsla (2a in paper) to come to the conclusion (3a in paper). Equation 2a is same as I wrote above and as given by Carslaw on page 305 (equation 5).

Chestermiller said:
You're using the equation incorrectly. In your system, ##\Delta H## the temperature change at the boundary is not constant with time. You need to express the solution to your problem as a convolution integral with appropriate time delays in the erfc term. What would the solution look like if expressed as an integral in this way?
Isn't ##\Delta H## changing with every step in my code? I am sorry I am not very good at math and its been quite a time I am looking at this problem. Can you tell what changes I have to make in my code?

The equation should be $$h(x,t)=\int_0^t{\frac{d\Delta H(t-\tau)}{d\tau}\left[erfc{\frac{x}{2\sqrt{\nu \tau}}}\right]d\tau}$$

1. What is the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a one-dimensional system over time. It takes into account factors such as temperature, thermal conductivity, and heat sources or sinks.

2. Why is it important to model the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation?

Modeling the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation allows us to understand and predict how heat will behave in a given system. This is important in many fields, such as engineering and physics, as it allows us to make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.

3. What are the key assumptions made in modeling the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation?

Some of the key assumptions made in modeling the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation include a constant thermal conductivity, no heat generation or absorption, and a linear temperature gradient.

4. How is the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation calculated?

The analytical solution of the 1D heat equation is calculated using the method of separation of variables. This involves breaking down the equation into multiple simpler equations and solving them individually, before combining the solutions to find the overall solution.

5. What are some applications of the analytical solution of the 1D heat equation?

The analytical solution of the 1D heat equation has many practical applications, including predicting temperature distribution in buildings, analyzing heat transfer in electronic devices, and understanding heat transfer in geological processes.