Modelling non linear springs in abaqus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of linear and non-linear springs in modeling with Abaqus. The speaker initially used the connector builder to connect two points and define the spring stiffness, but later encountered issues when trying to define a non-linear spring. They created a CSYS on the axis between the points, but the non-linear spring did not carry any load in the results. The speaker is seeking help from anyone who has encountered this issue before.
ronaldkoets
Dear,

First i modeled linear springs with abaqus: Model >> Assembly >> Engineering Features >> Springs/Dashpots >> Connect two points, In this way i can define just only the spring stiffness.

So therefore i would like to define a non linear springs. I used the connecter builder >> connected the same two points, Created connecten section: basic, axial >> Elasticity, Non linear, Force F1, Uncoupled en i defined three points of the force-displacement behaviour.

In the connector Buileder meno i Created CSYS on axis between points, axis 1 / CSYS 2: Use CSYS 1.

So fare so good i thought,

but: in my results i see that the non-linear spring doesn't carry any load, while first of all in the model with the linear spring (by using the spings/dashpot menu) the springs do carry load.

Is there anyone who have had this problem before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello,
Even I get the same problem. The non-linear spring doesn't carry any force. How did u resolve this. please help me with this

1. How do I define a non-linear spring in Abaqus?

To define a non-linear spring in Abaqus, you will need to use the *SPRING, NONLINEAR option in the input file. This option allows you to specify the non-linear behavior of the spring using either a tabular data or an analytical expression.

2. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear spring in Abaqus?

A linear spring has a constant stiffness throughout its deformation, while a non-linear spring has a varying stiffness depending on the amount of deformation. Non-linear springs are better suited for modeling materials with non-linear behavior, such as rubber or plastic.

3. How do I validate my non-linear spring model in Abaqus?

To validate your non-linear spring model in Abaqus, you can compare the results of your simulation with experimental data or analytical solutions. You can also perform sensitivity analyses to ensure that your model is accurately capturing the non-linear behavior of the spring.

4. Can I use a non-linear spring in a dynamic analysis in Abaqus?

Yes, you can use a non-linear spring in a dynamic analysis in Abaqus. However, you will need to use the *DYNAMIC option in the input file to define the dynamic properties of the spring, such as mass and damping.

5. Are there any limitations to using non-linear springs in Abaqus?

While non-linear springs are useful for modeling materials with non-linear behavior, they can be computationally expensive and may require more advanced analysis techniques. Additionally, the accuracy of your results may be affected by the quality of your input data and the complexity of your model.