Möbius transformation, 3 points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a Möbius transformation that maps 0 to -1, 1 to infinity, and infinity to 1. The conversation mentions the theorem that states Möbius transformations can be expressed as a composition of translations, magnifications, rotations, and inversions, and that they map the extended complex plane one-to-one onto itself. The conversation also mentions that Möbius transformations map circles and lines to themselves and are conformal at every point except their pole. The proposed solution involves using the limit when f(z) approaches infinity to determine the relation between b and d, and then using this to find the transformation.
usn7564

Homework Statement

Find the Möbius transformation that maps
0 -> -1
1 -> infinity
infinity -> 1

Homework Equations

[tex]w = f(z) = \frac{az + b}{cz+d}[/tex]

Theorem:

Let f be any Möbius transformation. Then

i, f can be expressed as the composition of a finite sequence of translations, magnifications, rotations and inversions.

ii, f maps the extended complex plane one-to-one onto intself.

iii, f maps the class of circles and lines to itself

iv, f is conformal at every point except its pole

The Attempt at a Solution

My first idea was to attempt to solve it as a normal system of eq's but that quickly falls apart due to infinity being there. Been toying with the idea of using the fact that lines will map to lines or circles but don't quite know how to apply it.

And yes I know there's a formula for these exact types of questions but it's in the next sub chapter, book figures it's possible to do without knowing that. Just can't for the life of me figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with 0 -> -1. This gives you relation between b and d. Then simply think in limits, when f(z) -> inf, f(z) -> 1?

Likes 1 person
Got it to work, was a bit too caught up with the fact that infinity was defined as a point (which I need to read up on more) which just messed with me. Just looking at the limits it wasn't actually bad at all.

Thanks.

1. What is a Möbius transformation?

A Möbius transformation is a mathematical function that maps points on a plane to other points on the same plane. It is also known as a linear fractional transformation and is commonly used in complex analysis and geometry.

2. How is a Möbius transformation defined?

A Möbius transformation is defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is a point on the plane. The four complex numbers a, b, c, and d are called the coefficients of the transformation.

3. What are the properties of a Möbius transformation?

A Möbius transformation has several important properties, including:

• It maps lines and circles to lines and circles.
  • It preserves angles between intersecting curves.
  • It preserves the cross-ratio of four collinear points.
  • It has a unique inverse transformation.

4. How many points are needed to define a Möbius transformation?

A Möbius transformation can be uniquely determined by three distinct points on the plane. This is because any three non-collinear points define a unique circle, and a Möbius transformation can be thought of as mapping points on a circle to other points on a circle.

5. What is the significance of the name "Möbius transformation"?

The name "Möbius transformation" comes from the German mathematician August Ferdinand Möbius, who first studied these transformations in the 19th century. They are also sometimes referred to as "Möbius transformations" in honor of Möbius' contributions to the field.