1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular interpretation of temperature

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    i'm trying to do my ap physics summer work, but i've been having a hard time trying to teach this to myself. i do really well in class, but i need a little bit of guidance to help explain how to use the equations the right way.

i'm currently stuck on a question about vrms an it's relation to temp.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the rms speed of molecules in a gas at 20degrees celsius is to be raised by 1%. To what temperature must it be raised?

2. Relevant equations
    vrms= √3kT/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    i don't have any clue where to start if it didn't give me the gas to find it's mass.

-i was wondering if i could find someone who could maybe stay in touch for a day or two so i can reach out if i get stuck on anything

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2
    What happens to constants when you need a ratio?

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3
    okay, the temperature would change by sqrt 2, right ?
    essentially about 6 degrees kelvin.

i'm stuck on another problem, it seems to be more conceptual.
    it says to prove how
    vrms=√P/ρ
    P, pressure
    ρ, density of the gas

i started with the two equations
    P=1/3Nmv^2/V
    v^2=3KT/m

i assumed the goal was to get the V from the first equation into the denominator of the second to try to get the density (m/v)
    some how all i've gotten to was
    P/ρ=[3KT(1/3)N]/m

i'm trying to see if i can get the original 3KT/m to revert back to v^2, but i don't know how to get rid of the (1/3)N/m

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, thattgirljoyy! :smile:

It's not too far off 6 degrees... but there is no sqrt 2 involved that I can see... :confused:

Let's put it in formulas:
    Before you have some unknown vrms,before at 20 degrees Celsius, or 393 K.
    Afterward you have vrms,after=1.01vrms,before at some unknown temperature T.
    Substitute and solve for T?

Did you consider that m is the mass of one molecule?
    What is the mass of all molecules in the volume V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook