Understanding Carry-Over Factor in Beam Analysis

In summary: BC is carried over to CB ( line 4 ) and in the second case, the moment from BC isn't carried over to CB ( line 5 ). So in the first case, the stiffness of joint CB will be greater because the moment from BC is being added to it. In the second case, the stiffness of joint CB will be the same because the moment from BC isn't being added to it.In summary, in the first case, the stiffness of joint CB will be greater because the moment from BC is being added to it. In the second case, the stiffness of joint CB will be the same because the moment from BC isn't being added to it.
fonseh

Homework Statement

I don't understand why for the first case , the 0.4 and 0.6 is used ? for the second question , we can see that in the first case , the moment from BC is carried over to CB ( highlighted part - line 4 ) ... Why for the second case , the moment from BC (6325.8) isn't carried over to CB ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for the second part , the moment from BC (6325.8) should be carried over to CB (6325.8/2 )

Attachments

• 607.png
    607.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 608.png
    608.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 609.png
    609.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
For Question #2, you carry over the moment from CB to BC and BC to CB because joints B and C are part of the member BC.

You can carry over the 6325.8 , but on the next itteration you will have to do: Moment to distribute = (-1) * DF * Previous moment . So you would have: 6325.8 + (-6325.8) which will add up to 0. Try continuing the iterations a bit, you will ultimately converge to the final solution shown.

For Question #1, it has to do with calculating the stiffness factors and then the distribution factors.

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
You can carry over the 6325.8 , but on the next itteration you will have to do: Moment to distribute = (-1) * DF * Previous moment . So you would have: 6325.8 + (-6325.8) which will add up to 0. Try continuing the iterations a bit, you will ultimately converge to the final solution shown.
Why when the moment from BC is carried over to CB , shouldn't it become 0.5(6325.8 ) ? Juts like the moment BA( 5647.2) are being carried over to CB , become ( 2823.6) ??

Yes (forgot about that) , but then after that you will have -2823.6 N*m and adding it up with 2823.6 = 0

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
-2823.6 N*m and adding it up with 2823.6 = 0
Where is it ? It's not shown in the calculation ... the book only showed total moment 2823.6 ... , no -2823.6 N*m whatsover ... Or the book is wrong ?

fonseh said:
Where is it ? It's not shown in the calculation ... the book only showed total moment 2823.6 ... , no -2823.6 N*m whatsover ... Or the book is wrong ?

Sorry, ignore the last post (I thought DF=1).

For member AB, DF=0, so what ever you carry over, you will always have 0 in that column since you will need to do : DF * Moment * (-1)

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:

For member AB, DF=0, so what ever you carry over, you will always have 0 in that column since you will need to do : DF * Moment * (-1)
So , do you mean the book is wrong ? the total moment about A should be = 0 ? not 2823.6Nm ??

No, the book is correct... I was talking about your "next iterations" . Try it out, in that column you will have 2823.6 , then 0 then 0 then 0 ... when you finally take the sum , you will get a final moment on member AB of 2826.6 Nm

sakonpure6 said:

Ok , back to the problem , why when the moment from BC is carried over to CB , shouldn't it become 0.5(6325.8 ) ?

Yes it will be.

Then when you continue the iteration, what will you get as a moment to distribute? You will have to distribute -3162.9 Nm . So in the column you now have : 3162.9 + -3162.9 =0.

Also, keep in mind that a pin/roller end cannot take a moment. So if you end up with anything other than 0, your solution is wrong.

You should set this problem up in excel to see for your self what values you will get if you continue iterating.

Maybe this can help more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_distribution_method

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
Yes it will be.

Then when you continue the iteration, what will you get as a moment to distribute? You will have to distribute -3162.9 Nm . So in the column you now have : 3162.9 + -3162.9 =0.

Also, keep in mind that a pin/roller end cannot take a moment. So if you end up with anything other than 0, your solution is wrong.

You should set this problem up in excel to see for your self what values you will get if you continue iterating.

Maybe this can help more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_distribution_method
Why this is required ? Can you explain about in ( without assuming that the total moment about C = 0 ) ?

fonseh said:
Why this is required ? Can you explain about in ( without assuming that the total moment about C = 0 ) ?

I'm not assuming anything... Ok let's walk through this:

1. We carried over 3162.9 to member CB
2. Now we want to fill out a new row, let's start with column CB
3. To get the Moment to Distribute: FEM Dist. = CO * (-1) * DF = 3162.9 * (-1) * (1) = -3162.9 Nm

Also,
fonseh said:
Why this is required ?
this was a suggestion for you to continue itterating

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:

3. To get the Moment to Distribute: FEM Dist. = CO * (-1) * DF = 3162.9 * (-1) * (1) = -3162.9 Nm

Also,

Well , i ended up getting this one ... I found that my moment about A is no longer 2823.6... I just did it halfway , for line 10 , the moment -3176.4 is carried over to BC become -1588.2 (This is similar in the first example , where the moment CB is carried over to BC )

If it's wrong , why can't i do in this way ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 355
sakonpure6 said:

Also,

why there's no need to carry over the moment from CB (-3176.4) to BC become -1588.2 ??

Hey Fonseh ,

I read over my notes, and looked over the example again.

I forgot that when we have a pin end (So pin C), the moment distribution method can be simplified by the following two steps:

1. Stiffness factor is taken to be K = 3 EI/L
2. Carry over factor to that member is 0 , not 1/2

And when you do so and try to continue iterating you will find that all your new Dist and CO moments are 0.

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    10.2 KB · Views: 152
Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
Hey Fonseh ,

I read over my notes, and looked over the example again.

I forgot that when we have a pin end (So pin C), the moment distribution method can be simplified by the following two steps:

1. Stiffness factor is taken to be K = 3 EI/L
2. Carry over factor to that member is 0 , not 1/2

And when you do so and try to continue iterating you will find that all your new Dist and CO moments are 0.
why in example in 607.jpg , the moment carried over from BC to CB or vice versa is half ? Can you explain the differences for both cases?

In figure 607, the author solved the example without using the simplifications mentioned in post #15, he used a stiffness factor of 4 EI/L for member CB and when you use that stiffness value, you must use a carry over factor of 1/2. So the exercise took longer to solve.

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
In figure 607, the author solved the example without using the simplifications mentioned in post #15, he used a stiffness factor of 4 EI/L for member CB and when you use that stiffness value, you must use a carry over factor of 1/2. So the exercise took longer to solve.
We already know that for far end pinned / roller supported , the Stiffness factor is taken to be K = 3 EI/L , why the author use K = 4 EI/L in 607.jpg and use carry over factor of 0.5 ?
Is it wrong to do so ?

The formula K = 4 EI/ L is derived from a beam that is assumed to be pin at one end and fixed at the other (pg : 509 of the textbook your using), and with this assumption, the carry over factor is calculated to be 1/2.

When we use K=4 EI/ L for the pin end support as the author did , we are basically assuming it to be fixed (when in reality it is not) AND after iterating through the long process we see that the actual moment at the assumed fixed member (which is an actual pin) is 0. So what does that mean? Well if M=0, then we only have internal axial and shear forces which are reminiscent to a pin/roller support which is the true configuration of the given problem. So, everything works out in the end.

So, it is not wrong to do so. You will get the same answer if you use K= 4 EI/L AND CO=1/2 or K=3 EI/L AND CO = 0 for the far pinned end.

Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:
The formula K = 4 EI/ L is derived from a beam that is assumed to be pin at one end and fixed at the other (pg : 509 of the textbook your using), and with this assumption, the carry over factor is calculated to be 1/2.

When we use K=4 EI/ L for the pin end support as the author did , we are basically assuming it to be fixed (when in reality it is not) AND after iterating through the long process we see that the actual moment at the assumed fixed member (which is an actual pin) is 0. So what does that mean? Well if M=0, then we only have internal axial and shear forces which are reminiscent to a pin/roller support which is the true configuration of the given problem. So, everything works out in the end.

So, it is not wrong to do so. You will get the same answer if you use K= 4 EI/L AND CO=1/2 or K=3 EI/L AND CO = 0 for the far pinned end.
So , do you mean Since i know it's pinned end support , using K=3 EI/L AND CO = 0 will bring me to the final ans faster ?

fonseh said:
So , do you mean Since i know it's pinned end support , using K=3 EI/L AND CO = 0 will bring me to the final ans faster ?

Yes!

Edit: also a nice trick to see if your solution is correct is to see whether the calculated moment is 0 at end pins/rollers

Last edited:
Likes fonseh
sakonpure6 said:

hi , can you help me in this question ? https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/carry-over-factor-in-beam-confusion.910499/

1. What is moment distribution in beam?

Moment distribution is a structural analysis method used to determine the moments and shears in a beam or frame structure. It involves breaking the structure into smaller segments, calculating the stiffness of each segment, and distributing the moments and shears between them.

2. Why is moment distribution used?

Moment distribution is used because it provides a more accurate and efficient way to analyze complex beam and frame structures compared to other methods, such as the slope-deflection method. It takes into account the actual stiffness of each segment, resulting in more precise calculations.

3. How does moment distribution work?

Moment distribution works by dividing a beam or frame structure into smaller segments, calculating the stiffness of each segment, and applying the principle of virtual work to distribute the moments and shears between them. The process is repeated iteratively until the moments and shears converge to a solution.

4. What are the assumptions of moment distribution?

The assumptions of moment distribution include linear elastic behavior, small deflections, and no lateral or torsional buckling. It also assumes that the structure is statically determinate and that the loadings are applied at the joints.

5. How accurate is moment distribution?

Moment distribution can provide highly accurate results for most beam and frame structures, especially when compared to other simplified methods of analysis. However, it may not be suitable for structures with significant nonlinear behavior or large deformations.