Calculate Moment of Force at Point A: 2.88kN.m

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the magnitude and directional sense of the moment of a force at point A about point O. The calculations involve using vectors and the final answer should be 2.88 kN.m, but there may be a mistake in the numbers or signs used.
Struggling
hi, i have tried to work this question out it seems so easy but i must be missing something.

determine the magnitude and directional sense of the moment of the force at A about point O.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9895/statics19hv.jpg

these are 3 of my calculations for the question

F = 520 sin 30(6) - 520 cos 30(0)
F = 1560N or 1.56kN
also

F = 520 sin 120(6) - 0
F = 2.7kN

i also tried using vectors

r = {6i- 0j}m
F = {520sin30i - 520cos30j}N
= {260i - 450.33j}
The moment is therefore

Mo = r x F = 0i - 0j + [6(-450.33)-(0)(200)]k
= {-2.7k} kN.m

the answer in the books telling me 2.88 kN.m can someone point me to where I am going wrong i have obviously misunderstood something

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking is right, check the numbers and maybe the signs.

[tex] \vec{M}_{o} = (6 \vec{i}) \times (-520 \frac{5}{13} \vec{i} + 520 \frac{12}{13} \vec{j}) [/tex]

thanks Cyclovenom

Related to Calculate Moment of Force at Point A: 2.88kN.m

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of force?

The formula for calculating moment of force is force (F) multiplied by the perpendicular distance (d) from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force, resulting in the unit of newton-meters (Nm). This can be represented as M = F x d.

2. How do I determine the direction of moment of force?

The direction of moment of force is determined by the right-hand rule. Point the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the force, then curl your fingers towards the direction of rotation. Your thumb will point in the direction of the moment of force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of force?

The unit of measurement for moment of force is newton-meters (Nm). This unit is derived from the SI units of force (newtons) and distance (meters).

4. How does the magnitude of the force affect the moment of force?

The magnitude of the force directly affects the moment of force. The larger the force, the greater the moment of force will be. This means that if the force is doubled, the moment of force will also double, as long as the distance remains constant.

5. Can moment of force be negative?

Yes, moment of force can be negative. This occurs when the force and the distance act in opposite directions, resulting in a clockwise rotation. In this case, the moment of force will be represented by a negative value.