Moment of Inertia Calculation for Rotating Disc

In summary, the problem involves a spinning disc with a piece of putty dropped onto it, causing a decrease in angular speed. Using the conservation of momentum and parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia of the disc can be calculated by equating the initial and final angular velocities. The mass of the disc is not given, as it is the quantity being solved for. Angular velocity should be converted to radians per second for the equation to be valid. The mass used in the equation is that of the putty, not the disc.
bidhati

Homework Statement

A horizontal disc of diameter 12.0 cm is spinning freely about a vertical axis
through its centre at an angular speed of 72 revolutions per minute. A piece
of putty of mass 5.0 g drops on to and sticks to the disc a distance of 4.0 cm
from the centre. The angular speed reduces to 60 revolutions per minute.
Calculate the moment of inertia of the disc. You should assume that no
external torques are applied to the system during this process.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum
I0w0=Ifwf

parallel axis theorim
Iw=Iw+mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

combining two equations gives Iw=Iw +mr^2
but do I need to convert angular speed to radians per sec? and I assume the mass is the putty mass not the disc?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you knew the mass of the disc, the question would have no point would it, because that's what you're asked to find ?

Yes, use radians/sec for angular velocity.

Yes, you will need to convert the angular speed to radians per second in order to use the equations correctly. The mass in this case would be the total mass of the disc and the putty, as they are now considered one system. So, the equation would be I0w0=Ifwf, where I0 is the initial moment of inertia of the disc, w0 is the initial angular speed of the disc, If is the final moment of inertia of the disc with the added putty, and wf is the final angular speed of the disc.

To calculate the moment of inertia of the disc, you can use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body is equal to the sum of its mass multiplied by the square of the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass, plus the moment of inertia of the body when it rotates about its center of mass. In this case, the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass is given as 4.0 cm. So, the equation would be I=Icm + mr^2, where Icm is the moment of inertia of the disc when it rotates about its center of mass.

To calculate the final moment of inertia, you can rearrange the equation I0w0=Ifwf to solve for If. Then, plug in the known values and solve for If. Once you have the final moment of inertia, you can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of the disc when it rotates about its center of mass. Finally, you can add this value to the moment of inertia of the added putty (which is just mr^2) to get the total moment of inertia of the disc with the added putty.

Related to Moment of Inertia Calculation for Rotating Disc

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a property of a rotating object that measures its resistance to changes in its rotation. It is also known as rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a rotating disc?

Moment of inertia for a rotating disc can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disc, and r is the radius of the disc.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rotating disc?

The moment of inertia of a rotating disc is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The larger the mass and the further away it is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia.

4. How does moment of inertia impact the rotation of a disc?

The moment of inertia determines the rotation rate of a disc. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to rotate and will rotate at a slower rate compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What is the significance of calculating moment of inertia for a rotating disc?

Calculating moment of inertia for a rotating disc is important in understanding its behavior and predicting its motion. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure the stability and efficiency of rotating systems.