How Does Mass Distribution Affect Rotational Dynamics of a Rod?

In summary, the rod has a net torque of T1 which is exerted by the point masses m1 and m2. The net torque is greater when the angular velocity is ω at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal.
Panphobia said:
Wait look, the angle between m1gcosθ' and L/2 is 90, so that means that sinθ = 1, and then θ' = the original thing given in c) (the angle θ with respect to the horizontal). So I do not know what you are talking about.
Things may have become confused because at one point I deduced from your equations that theta was the angle to the vertical, and I didn't go back and check the OP. When you introduced θ' you didn't define it, and I guessed wrongly.
I think you are now using θ' for what was given in the OP as θ (the angle to the horizontal) and fixing θ at 90 degrees. (Not sure why you introduce it in that case.)
If so, your equation T1 = (L/2)*m1gcosθ'*sinθ reduces to T1 = (L/2)*m1gcosθ', and in terms of the original θ that's T1 = (L/2)*m1gcosθ. With which I agree!
The next step is to get the net torque. Watch the signs.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I have to figure out the positive direction of Torque. But then since both of the masses will be moving either clockwise or counter clockwise at the same time, that is kind of pointless, so just adding T1 and T2 should be enough, or am I missing something?

Panphobia said:
So I have to figure out the positive direction of Torque. But then since both of the masses will be moving either clockwise or counter clockwise at the same time, that is kind of pointless, so just adding T1 and T2 should be enough, or am I missing something?
The direction they're moving does not affect the torque. They are at opposite ends of the rod, so the torques must oppose.

Likes 1 person
Ohhhh yes, since the mg's are all point downwards, the direction of torque is opposite, good good. So it is Tnet = T1 - T2?

Panphobia said:
Ohhhh yes, since the mg's are all point downwards, the direction of torque is opposite, good good. So it is Tnet = T1 - T2?

Yes.

Is the mass of the rod irrelevant to the torque?

Panphobia said:
Is the mass of the rod irrelevant to the torque?

Yes, it balances out. Would there be any acceleration if there point masses were not there?

I guess not, yea I see what you are talking about, because the rotation axis is at the centre of mass of the rod. So if I wanted the angle at which the ω was maximum, would torque = 0 then? if torque = 0 then the angle would be 90 to the horizontal correct? By the way my thinking process is, L = Iω and the derivative of L is T, when velocity is a maximum, acceleration is 0, soo that's what I think.

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
I guess not, yea I see what you are talking about, because the rotation axis is at the centre of mass of the rod. So if I wanted the angle at which the ω was maximum, would torque = 0 then? if torque = 0 then the angle would be 90 to the horizontal correct? By the way my thinking process is, L = Iω and the derivative of L is T, when velocity is a maximum, acceleration is 0, soo that's what I think.

Yes, that works.