Moment Of Inertia Of A Semi-Circular Disk?

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a semi-circular disk with a mass of 10kg. They have made an error in their calculation but are unsure where. After receiving guidance, they realize their mistake and correct it.
Roomie

Homework Statement

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Screen%20Shot%202012-04-26%20at%2010.03.36.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630750/Photo%2026-04-2012%2010%2001%2034.jpg

I know this is wrong but I can't really see why, can anybody help?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Roomie! :smile:

(please type your answers in future)

Why 1/4 Mr2 ? :confused:

Your approach is correct, but you've made two mistakes inserting the numbers (hint: you're missing a square and use wrong mass). Check your result again (actually, you should probably make a habit of doing this before posting in the first place)

Ah yes I see that I missed a squared, and that makes my answer 0.111. But I don't see how I have used the wrong mass? The mass of the semi circular disk is 10kg?

Sorry, I misread the text as if the mass of the full disc was 10 kg.

Reading it correctly I can then only ask as tiny-tim did (that is, check your equation for the moment of inertia around O).

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a semi-circular disk?

The moment of inertia of a semi-circular disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * mr², where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius of the disk.

3. How does the shape of a semi-circular disk affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a semi-circular disk affects its moment of inertia as it determines the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. A disk with a larger radius will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a disk with a smaller radius.

4. How does the mass of a semi-circular disk affect its moment of inertia?

The mass of a semi-circular disk also affects its moment of inertia. A disk with a greater mass will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a disk with a smaller mass, assuming all other variables remain constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding moment of inertia of a semi-circular disk?

Understanding the moment of inertia of a semi-circular disk is important in various engineering and physics applications. For example, it is used in the design of rotating machinery and vehicles, as well as in analyzing the stability and motion of objects in rotational motion.