Moment of inertia rolling down a hill

In summary, the question posed is which solid sphere, a large, massive one or a small one with low mass, will reach the bottom of a hill first when rolled down. The attempted solution first suggests that the smaller sphere would reach first due to its lower moment of inertia, but this is incorrect. The conversation then turns to discussing the forces and constraints on the spheres, with gravity being the only force acting on them. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the rolling motion of the spheres, and provides links to resources for further understanding. The final conclusion is that the masses and radii do not affect the time it takes for the spheres to reach the bottom, and further math is necessary to find the correct answer.
lo31415926535

Homework Statement

Two solid spheres -- a large, massive sphere and a small sphere with low mass -- are rolled down a hill. Which one reaches the bottom of the hill first?

Homework Equations

ICM= (2/5)MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that this would be the smaller sphere because it has a lower moment of inertia… but this isn't right. Can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do the physics ... what are the forces on the cylinders and the constraints?
Have you just done a lesson or so on rolling without slipping?

What physics do I have to do? My teacher talked about it a little… but honestly he is not very good at explaining things so I am having trouble understanding this.

Just gravity is acting on them right? So the larger, more massive one would reach the bottom first?

The wheel has to roll as well - so it will have an angular velocity.
Have a look at how other's do it.
http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/RotationalKinematics/RollingWithoutSlipping.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=169313
... there are also video tutorials on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so since the masses and radii drop out, they reach the bottom at the same time?

why would the masses and the radii "drop out" - did you do any math?

that's what it was on your second example… What math am I supposed to do??

Have you had a look at the links I have given you?

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

How does moment of inertia affect rolling down a hill?

The moment of inertia of an object affects how quickly it will accelerate or decelerate when rolling down a hill. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will accelerate slower, while objects with a lower moment of inertia will accelerate faster.

What factors influence the moment of inertia when rolling down a hill?

The moment of inertia when rolling down a hill is influenced by the shape and mass distribution of the object. Objects with a more compact shape and a greater concentration of mass towards the center will have a lower moment of inertia.

How do you calculate moment of inertia for a rolling object?

The moment of inertia for a rolling object can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the object.

Why is understanding moment of inertia important for studying rolling motion?

Understanding moment of inertia is important for studying rolling motion because it helps predict how an object will behave when rolling down a hill or on a surface. It is also essential for designing and optimizing machinery that uses rotational motion.