Moment of inertia rolling down a hill

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
lo31415926535
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two solid spheres -- a large, massive sphere and a small sphere with low mass -- are rolled down a hill. Which one reaches the bottom of the hill first?

Homework Equations



ICM= (2/5)MR2

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought that this would be the smaller sphere because it has a lower moment of inertia… but this isn't right. Can someone please explain?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do the physics ... what are the forces on the cylinders and the constraints?
Have you just done a lesson or so on rolling without slipping?
 
What physics do I have to do? My teacher talked about it a little… but honestly he is not very good at explaining things so I am having trouble understanding this.
 
Just gravity is acting on them right? So the larger, more massive one would reach the bottom first?
 
The wheel has to roll as well - so it will have an angular velocity.
Have a look at how other's do it.
http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/RotationalKinematics/RollingWithoutSlipping.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=169313
... there are also video tutorials on youtube.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
okay so since the masses and radii drop out, they reach the bottom at the same time?
 
why would the masses and the radii "drop out" - did you do any math?
 
that's what it was on your second example… What math am I supposed to do??