Moment of inertia uniform plate problem

In summary: The result is I=0.294 kgm^2.In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a uniform plate of height 1.39 m, cut in the form of a parabolic section with a lower boundary defined by y = 0.25x^2. The plate has a mass of 4.67 kg and the moment of inertia is to be calculated about the y-axis. The formula used is I=int(r^2)dm and the approach is to define dm using all the mass that is the same distance from the axis of rotation. The result is I=0.294 kgm^2.
monotonousJ
My homework problem goes like this:
A uniform plate of height H = 1.39 m is cut in the form of a parabolic section. The lower boundary of the plate is defined by: y = 0.25 x2. The plate has a mass of 4.67 kg. Find the moment of inertia of the plate (in kgm2) about the y-axis.

I know I=int(r^2)dm, but I don't know really how to apply it to this problem.
I need some help getting started, or even some info on calculating moments of inertia of random objects. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
monotonousJ said:
My homework problem goes like this:
A uniform plate of height H = 1.39 m is cut in the form of a parabolic section. The lower boundary of the plate is defined by: y = 0.25 x2. The plate has a mass of 4.67 kg. Find the moment of inertia of the plate (in kgm2) about the y-axis.

I know I=int(r^2)dm, but I don't know really how to apply it to this problem.
I need some help getting started, or even some info on calculating moments of inertia of random objects. Thank you.
The easiest way to approach these problems is to define the dm using all the mass that is the same distance from the axis of rotation. In this problem, the mass that is a given distance from the y-axis is all the mass that has the same x coordinate. For a plate, you have a uniform area mass density, s in kg/m^2, so a good dm would be a long thin slice parallel to the y-axis having area dA = h(x)dx where h(x) is the height of the slice at x. You can figure out h(x) from the given information and then integrate from the minimum x to the maximum x of the plate.

Hello,

Calculating moments of inertia can definitely be tricky, but it's an important concept in physics and engineering. In this problem, we are dealing with a uniform plate that has been cut into a parabolic shape. The first step is to understand what moment of inertia actually is. It is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In simpler terms, it tells us how difficult it is to rotate an object around a certain axis. In this case, we are looking for the moment of inertia around the y-axis.

To calculate moment of inertia, we use the formula I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to a small element of mass dm. In this problem, we can break down the plate into small rectangular strips, each with a height of dy and a width of dx. The distance r from the y-axis to a small element of mass dm can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. We can also express dm in terms of the mass density of the plate, ρ, as dm = ρdxdy.

Now, let's plug these values into the formula for moment of inertia. We get:

I = ∫r^2 dm = ∫(√(x^2 + y^2))^2 ρdxdy

Since we are integrating with respect to y, we need to express x in terms of y. From the given equation for the lower boundary of the plate, we can write x = √(4y). Substituting this into our integral, we get:

I = ∫(√(4y)^2 + y^2)ρ√4y dy = ∫(16y + y^2)ρ√4y dy

Now, we can solve this integral and get an expression for the moment of inertia:

I = ρ(4/5)y^(5/2) + ρ(1/3)y^(3/2)

Since we know the mass of the plate, we can also express ρ in terms of the mass and the dimensions of the plate, giving us:

I = (4.67 kg)/[(1.39 m)(0.25 m^2)](4/5)y^(5/2) + (4.67 kg)/[(1.39 m)(0.25 m^2)](1/3)y^(3/2)

Related to Moment of inertia uniform plate problem

1. What is moment of inertia in a uniform plate?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of a uniform plate, moment of inertia refers to the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a uniform plate?

The moment of inertia for a uniform plate can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * M * (a^2 + b^2), where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the plate, and a and b are the dimensions of the plate.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a uniform plate?

The moment of inertia of a uniform plate is affected by its mass, shape, and axis of rotation. A larger mass or dimensions will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a change in the axis of rotation can also impact the moment of inertia.

4. How does moment of inertia relate to torque?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the angular acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net torque applied to it and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that a larger moment of inertia requires a greater torque to produce the same angular acceleration.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a uniform plate be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a uniform plate is an important concept in engineering and physics, and it is commonly used in the design and analysis of rotating systems such as turbines, flywheels, and propellers. It is also used in sports equipment design, such as in the construction of golf clubs and tennis rackets.