Momentum and force combined question

In summary: For that we need to know the minimum distance she would have to run to a stop.In summary, the conversation covers a skateboarder of mass 52kg riding a 5.5kg skateboard at a speed of 4.3m/s. She jumps off and the skateboard moves forward at a speed of 8.6m/s. The velocity of the skateboarder after the jump is 3.9m/s. The net force is equal to the mass of the skateboarder plus the mass of the skateboard times the initial velocity. The coefficient of friction cannot be determined without additional information.
JayK

Homework Statement

a. A skateboarder of mass 52kg is riding her 5.5kg skateboard at a speed of 4.3m/s. She jumps off her skateboard, sending the skateboard forward at a speed of 8.6m/s. what is the velocity of the skateboarder after she jumps off?
b. What is the net force if it takes 1.25 for her to come to a stop?
c. what is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'
Fnet=ma
Ffr=(coefficient of friction)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, what I did was, I used the first formula to figure it out, so..
(57.5)(4.3)+(5.5)(4.3)=(57.5)(v1')+(5.5)(8.6)
270.9=57.5v1'+47.3
v1'=3.9m/s
Is this right? for m1 I added 52kg and 5.5kg.

For b, is the initial velocity 4.3m/s and the final 3.9m/s??
I really don't get c.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your momentum equation there is initially only one velocity, 4.3 metres per second along the positive x-axis ( try drawing a sketch here as velocity is a vector and direction will affect the sign of the value of the velocity), so it should be written ## \left(m_1+m_2\right) v_i ## on your left hand side (where the subscripts 1 and 2 refer to the skateboarder and skateboard respectively). Then it should be simple to rearrange and isolate the final speed of the skateboarder.
For b visualise what happens to the skateboarder in the 1.25 s it takes for her to come to a stop. She leaves the board with the speed calculated in the first part of the question then she has final velocity at the end of the 1.25 seconds. I'll let you figure what the final velocity is.
Then to find the net force you have to make a substitution. What is acceleration equal to?
For part c it should be simple to figure out the coefficient of friction if one knows the force calculated in part b).

JayK said:
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'
JayK said:
(57.5)(4.3)+(5.5)(4.3)=(57.5)(v1')+(5.5)(8.6)
For some reason, you plugged in the sum of the 2 masses (girl + skateboard) for m1.
For part b, you have 3 knowns for the girl after the moment she left the skateboard: Initial velocity, final velocity, and time. From that, you are able to find her acceleration and, if you wanted to, the distance it took her to stop. And from her acceleration, you should be able to find the force acting on her that caused her to stop. To clarify, she is sliding on the ground and the friction between her feet and the ground causes her to stop - that is, unless she fell and did a face plant into the ground. :) And, as patzer mentioned, based on that calculated force, you should be able to find the coefficient of friction. I'll give you a hint: Look at your relevant equations listed.

JayK said:
for m1 I added 52kg and 5.5kg.
Why, when you have m2 for the mass of the board, with its own momentum term, in the same equation? Is the girl riding one board and carrying another?
JayK said:
What is the net force if it takes 1.25 for her to come to a stop?
It should ask for the average force to come to a stop in 1.25s.
JayK said:
what is the coefficient of friction?
There is no way to know from the information given.
If we are given that the girl slides to a stop in 1.25s then we can find the coefficient of kinetic friction.
But most people would run to a stop to avoid slipping, and thus avoiding falling over. In that case all we can calculate is the minimum possible coefficient of static friction.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum (p) is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v): p = m * v. This equation tells us that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

4. How are force and momentum related?

Force (F) and momentum (p) are directly related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

5. Can momentum and force be combined?

Yes, momentum and force can be combined in certain situations, such as during collisions or interactions between objects. In these cases, the change in momentum of one object is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the time over which the force acts.