Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of a ball being hit at an angle of 32 degrees and clearing a wall that is 18.5 m high and 140.0 m from home plate. The initial speed of the ball is found by solving for time in the x-direction and substituting it into the formula for vertical position. The ball reaches the wall in 1.89 seconds and has a velocity of 23.14 m/sec. The remaining question is to find the velocity components and speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
More physics... Help Please!

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 18.5 m high located 140.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 32° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1.0 m above the ground.

a. What is the initial speed of the ball? Solve for time in the x-direction and substitute it in the formula for the vertical position.
Incorrect. Tries 1/15

b. How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall? Tries 0/15

c. Find the velocity components and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.
Vy,f
Vx,f
Vf

-----------------
I have no idea how to start :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well let's start with what we know --

We seem to be told to assume that the 18.5 m wall is the apex of the ball's height and the ball started at 1 m so it traveled 17.5 m up before its vertical vel went to zero (vertical velocity is zero when the ball stops rising and starts falling). Velocity after time t is initial vertical velocity (Vy here I think) - gt -- that is:

V(17.5 m) = Vy - gt = Vy - 9.8t

If we set that to 0 we get that

Vy = 9.8t -------- first step

We also know that the distance up (17.5 m) is as follows

17.5 = Vyt - gt^2/2 --- But note that we have an expression for Vy just above so

17.5 = 9.8t^2 - 9.8t^2/2 = 4.9t^2

t = SQRT(17.5/4.9) = 1.89 sec

So Vy when the ball left the bat was:

9.8 * 1.89 = 18.522 m/sec

I did this straight on the computer and I have not checked whether I made any errors -- so check it -- the logic should be right.

Why don't I let you work the rest.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, but my online homework says that is the wrong answer. So if someone could still help me, I'd appreciate it.

OK - one more try; I appear to have been wrong in assuming that 18.5 m was the apex of the ball's flight. Using the hint from part a.,
where t is the time at which the ball reached the fence
travel in x direction:

140 m = Vx*t so
t=140/Vx

travel in y direction:
17.5 = Vy*t - 9.8*t^2/2

17.5 = (Vy/Vx)*140 - 0.5*9.8*19600/Vx^2 (equation 1)

I think we assume tan(32)= Vy/Vx

i.e., 0.6249 = Vy/Vx or Vy = 0.62489*Vx

Using this to solve equation 1 above yields Vx= 37.045 m/sec so
Vy = .6249*37.045 = 23.14 m/sec.
For "initial speed" they probably want the velocity at 32 deg from the horiz so that would be Vy/cos(32) or Vx/sin(32)
Well, hope this one was right
I'll leave b) for you

Last edited:

1. What is the "Home Run Edition" of "Getting Physics Help"?

The "Home Run Edition" of "Getting Physics Help" is a comprehensive guide designed to help students understand and apply the principles of physics. It covers a wide range of topics and provides clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students improve their understanding and performance in physics.

2. Who can benefit from "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition"?

"Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" is designed for students who are studying physics at the high school or introductory college level. It can be helpful for students who are struggling with the subject, as well as those who want to improve their understanding and performance even if they are already doing well.

3. How is "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" different from other physics study materials?

The "Home Run Edition" of "Getting Physics Help" is unique in its approach to teaching physics. It focuses on breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and providing clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce understanding. It also includes tips and strategies for problem-solving and test-taking, as well as interactive elements such as quizzes and simulations.

4. Is "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" is designed to be used as a self-study guide. It is written in a clear and accessible language, with step-by-step explanations and examples. It also includes practice problems with solutions, so students can check their understanding and track their progress.

5. Can "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" be used as a supplement to a physics course?

Absolutely. "Getting Physics Help: Home Run Edition" can be used as a supplement to any physics course, providing students with additional explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce their understanding of the material. It can also be used as a review tool before exams or as a resource for students who need extra help outside of class.