1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More physics Help Please

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    More physics.... Help Please!!

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 18.5 m high located 140.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 32° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1.0 m above the ground.

a. What is the initial speed of the ball? Solve for time in the x-direction and substitute it in the formula for the vertical position.
    Incorrect. Tries 1/15

b. How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall? Tries 0/15

c. Find the velocity components and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.
    Vy,f
    Vx,f
    Vf

-----------------
    I have no idea how to start :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2004 #2
    Well let's start with what we know --

We seem to be told to assume that the 18.5 m wall is the apex of the ball's height and the ball started at 1 m so it travelled 17.5 m up before its vertical vel went to zero (vertical velocity is zero when the ball stops rising and starts falling). Velocity after time t is initial vertical velocity (Vy here I think) - gt -- that is:

V(17.5 m) = Vy - gt = Vy - 9.8t

If we set that to 0 we get that

Vy = 9.8t -------- first step

We also know that the distance up (17.5 m) is as follows

17.5 = Vyt - gt^2/2 --- But note that we have an expression for Vy just above so

17.5 = 9.8t^2 - 9.8t^2/2 = 4.9t^2

t = SQRT(17.5/4.9) = 1.89 sec

So Vy when the ball left the bat was:

9.8 * 1.89 = 18.522 m/sec

I did this straight on the computer and I have not checked whether I made any errors -- so check it -- the logic should be right.

Why don't I let you work the rest.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  4. Nov 28, 2004 #3
    Thank you for your help, but my online homework says that is the wrong answer. So if someone could still help me, I'd appreciate it.

5. Nov 29, 2004 #4
    OK - one more try; I appear to have been wrong in assuming that 18.5 m was the apex of the ball's flight. Using the hint from part a.,
    where t is the time at which the ball reached the fence
    travel in x direction:

140 m = Vx*t so
    t=140/Vx

travel in y direction:
    17.5 = Vy*t - 9.8*t^2/2

17.5 = (Vy/Vx)*140 - 0.5*9.8*19600/Vx^2 (equation 1)

I think we assume tan(32)= Vy/Vx

i.e., 0.6249 = Vy/Vx or Vy = 0.62489*Vx

Using this to solve equation 1 above yields Vx= 37.045 m/sec so
    Vy = .6249*37.045 = 23.14 m/sec.
    For "initial speed" they probably want the velocity at 32 deg from the horiz so that would be Vy/cos(32) or Vx/sin(32)
    Well, hope this one was right
    I'll leave b) for you

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?