1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More QM trouble

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1
    More QM trouble:(

Hi there,
    I'm having a bit of trouble with something dealing with functions of operators and commutators. It's two different examples actually. For the first one I have that A and B are hermitian operators and their expected values with respect to a normalized state vector /S> are <A>=<S/A\S>
    where [tex]
    \Delta
    [/tex]A=sqrt(A-<A>), and similarly for B.
    Now here's the thing I'm having trouble with. They're trying to derive the uncertainty relation in this book, and for part of it they say that [[tex]
    \Delta
    [/tex]A,[tex]
    \Delta
    [/tex]B]=[A,B]
    (these are the commutators)
    I know it's probably something really obvious but for some reason I don't see it. I tried actually writing out the full expression for the commutator but I don't see why they would be equal.

As for the second problem I'm having, it has to do with functions of operators. Again I have 2 operators (this time not necessarily hermitian) that do not commute, [A,B] not equal to 0, which implies that [B,F(A)] (some function of A) is also not equal to 0. So here comes the parts I'm not sure of, they say that e^A*e^Bnot equal to e^(A+B), which I don't see why. How could I show this using a taylor expansion. I tried but didn't really get what I should have.
    They then proceed to say that e^A*e^b = e^(A+B)*e^[A,B]/2

and also,
    e^A*B*e^-A= B+ [A,B] + 1/2![A,[A,B]]+ 1/3![A,[A,[A,B]]]+...

neither of which I fully understand...I mean, I can see that the last one is a taylor series but I don't fully understand either of the last two things.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3
    Forgive me for not noticing that thread. Suprisingly that is the problem I was looking at. The thing is it didn't really answer my question. I'm sorry I know that there's probably something really stupid that I'm missing but I don't see this

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notice that [itex]\langle X \rangle[/itex] is just a scalar and [itex]IX = XI = X [/itex], so all the other terms cancel off nicely.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5
    Damnit, I knew it was something really simple. Those are things that always get me, the obvious or somewhat obvious things :cry:

Is it something just as obvious that I missed concerning my second question with the exponentials?

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, Taylor expand the exponentials :

[tex]a^A \cdot e^B = (I + A + \frac {A^2}{2!} + \frac {A^3}{3!} + ...)(I + B + \frac {B^2}{2!} + \frac {B^3}{3!} + ...)[/tex]
    [tex]=I + A + B + AB + \frac {A^2 + B^2}{2!} + ...
    = I + (A+B) + \frac {A^2 + B^2 + 2AB}{2!} + ... [/tex]

But notice that, for instance
    [tex](A+B)^2 = A^2 + B^2+AB+BA = A^2 + B^2+2AB+BA-AB=(A+B)^2+[B,A] \neq (A+B)^2 [/tex]

Use this above and hopefully, the result will follow. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?