Solving Win2K Issues: Email Links & Image Buttons not Working

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with links not working in Outlook Express due to a security setting in Windows 2000. The individual asks for help in finding the setting to allow this type of activity and mentions seeking advice from their son who suggests switching to a different email program. The issue is resolved by changing the default settings for email and browser.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There must be some security setting in Win2k which is blocking some emailed links from working in Outlook express. For example, the link to a PF PM when I am emailed a notification does not work. In many merchant email advertisements there are "picture button", ie click on the picture to go to some specific info, these do not work. Also image links in Ebay do not work.

Could anyone send me to the place in win2k where I might find the setting to allow this type of activity. I know it can be done and have been looking through the various settings found in the control panel, but no luck so far.

Am I going to have to email my son again (he is part of the network support group at CMU)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My sons advice was predictalbe. ... Dump Outlook Express :smile:

I found the buttons. It was set to use the current Email and browser as default. All is better now.

Thank you for sharing your issue with us. It sounds like there may be a security setting in Windows 2000 that is causing these email links and image buttons to not work properly. It can be frustrating when technology doesn't work the way we want it to.

First, I suggest checking your internet security settings in Internet Explorer. You can access these by going to the Tools menu, then selecting Internet Options. From there, click on the Security tab and make sure that the security level is not set too high. You may also want to add the websites that you are having trouble with to your trusted sites list.

If that doesn't solve the issue, you may need to check your email program's settings. In Outlook Express, go to Tools and then select Options. From there, click on the Security tab and make sure that the box next to "Block images and other external content in HTML email" is not checked.

If these steps do not solve the issue, it may be helpful to reach out to your son or a professional in your network support group for further assistance. They may be able to troubleshoot the issue and find a solution. I hope this helps and that you are able to access your email links and image buttons without any further issues.

1. Why are email links not working on my Win2K system?

This issue could be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect email program settings, outdated software, or corrupted system files. It is important to troubleshoot the issue to determine the specific cause.

2. How can I fix the problem of email links not opening in my default email program?

One solution is to check your default email program settings and ensure that it is properly set as the default program. You can also try restarting your computer or updating your email program to the latest version.

3. My image buttons are not working on my Win2K system. What can I do?

This issue may be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated software, browser settings, or corrupted system files. Try updating your browser to the latest version or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to troubleshoot further.

4. Why are my email links and image buttons working on some websites but not others?

This could be due to compatibility issues with certain websites or software. Make sure your browser and email program are up-to-date, and try accessing the websites with a different browser. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to contact the website's support team for assistance.

5. How can I prevent these issues from occurring in the future?

To prevent these issues, it is important to regularly update your software and operating system, and to keep your browser and email program up-to-date. It is also helpful to regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies to prevent any conflicts. If the issues continue to occur, it may be necessary to seek professional assistance.