Motion & Vectors: Find v1, Accel, Vel.& Pos. as Fn of Time

In summary, the conversation discussed a particle moving in the xy plane with constant acceleration. The initial position and velocity of the particle were given, and the final position and velocity at a specific time were also provided. The conversation then asked for the initial velocity, acceleration, velocity as a function of time, and position vector as a function of time. The conversation ended with a question about using calculus to solve for these values.
Beretta
A particle moves is the xy plane with constant acceleration. At t = 0 the particle is at
r1= (4m)i + (3m)j, with velocity v1. At t = 2s the particle has moved to r2= (10m)i- (2m)j and its velocity has changed to v2 = (5m/s)i – (6m/s)j. a) Find v1. b) What is the acceleration of the particle? c) What is the velocity of the particle as a function of time? D) What is the position vector of the particle as a function of time?

Since the acceleration is constanst can I use Vav =1/2(v0+v1)?
Delta ri = ri2 - ri1
= ((10m)i -(4m)i) = (6m)i
Delat rj = rj2 - rj1 = (-2m)j - (3m)j = (-5m)j

Thus Delta r = (6m)i - (5m)j

and V(av)i = (6m)i/2s = (3m/s)i
V(av)j = (-5m)j/2s = (-2.5m/s)j
Thus V(av) = (3m/s)i - (2.5m/s)j

and since Vav =1/2(v0+v1)
we have (3m/s)i - (2.5m/s)j = 1/2(v0 + (5m/s)i – (6m/s)j)
(3m/s)i - (2.5m/s)j = ((v0)/2) + (2.5m/s)i - (3m/s)j
so v0 = 2(0.5m/s)i + (0.5m/s)j = (1m/s)i + (1m/s)j
is that a logical reasoning for geting v?
And by the way how can get the velocity of the particle as a function of time, and the position vector of the particle as a function of time?

I really appreciate your help in advance.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Beretta
is that a logical reasoning for geting v?
Yes.
And by the way how can get the velocity of the particle as a function of time, and the position vector of the particle as a function of time?
Find the components of the acceleration, then use the equations for constant acceleration:
Vx = Vx0 + axt, etc..

Sometimes applying Calculus is useful.

1. What is motion?

Motion refers to the change in position of an object over time. It can be described using concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and position.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

3. How do you find v1, accel, vel., and pos. as a function of time?

To find these values as a function of time, you will need to use equations of motion such as v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, s is displacement, and t is time.

4. What factors can affect an object's motion?

An object's motion can be affected by various factors such as friction, air resistance, gravity, and external forces.

5. How are distance and displacement different?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's starting and ending position. Displacement takes into account both the distance and direction of an object's motion.