Motion control for a rotating a cylinder

In summary: Some industrial supply hardware stores have microswitches, but they can drive only an amp or two. So you will also need a relay or contactor that can drive the 1 HP motor.
Whynotreuse
Hi, I am an inventor with mechanical expertise but I am a novice with electrical controls. I want to control the rotation of a horizontal cylinder so it rotates 360 degrees, returning to the same start/stop position each cycle. The cylinder is being driven by a 1hp 110v electric motor, at a rate of one revolution every 124+- seconds. The solution should also include a means to program 1 to 6 start/stop times on a 24 hour basis. I imagine some sort of angle position sensor is available. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Whynotreuse.
I am assuming you are using some gear reduction between the motor and cylinder? I would think the momentum of a 1hp motor would make it difficult to get it to stop right at 360 degrees. How accurate do you need to be?

dlgoff said:
Welcome to PF Whynotreuse.
I am assuming you are using some gear reduction between the motor and cylinder? I would think the momentum of a 1hp motor would make it difficult to get it to stop right at 360 degrees. How accurate do you need to be?

Thank's for your reply.
It has to be very accurate. I was thinking the momentum would be relatively constant (6o:1) reduction ratio. Therefore my thoughts would be an adjustible sensor which stops the cycle perhaps a degree or two before 360 degrees. This should allow for the (X) degrees of movement from momentum. The cylinder is driven by sprocket and chain with a tension device removing the slack. More data available should you need it.

You could put a retro-reflector and a photo-detector on the outside of the cylinder, or a small hole in the cylinder with a light behind it, or a micro-switch, to stop rotation every 360 degrees. After a pause, you could have a timer that starts the motor again. You could get very accurate positioning if you used a dc motor rather than induction, but they are more expensive.

I have (in my hand) an isolated single phase solid state switch that is rated at 120 V, 25A that I paid ~$10 for about a year ago. I don't know how good it is for inductive loads.
Bob S

Last edited:
Very helpful. I like the idea of a micro-switch since this device operates under harsh conditions and a photo sensor may get dirty. Any idea who supplies the kit necessary to get this done?

Thanks

Mark

Whynotreuse said:
Very helpful. I like the idea of a micro-switch since this device operates under harsh conditions and a photo sensor may get dirty. Any idea who supplies the kit necessary to get this done?
Some industrial supply hardware stores have microswitches, but they can drive only an amp or two. So you will also need a relay or contactor that can drive the 1 HP motor.
Bob S

What is motion control for a rotating cylinder?

Motion control for a rotating cylinder refers to the use of various techniques and systems to precisely control the movement and position of a rotating cylinder. This can be achieved through the use of sensors, motors, and controllers.

What are the main benefits of motion control for a rotating cylinder?

The main benefits of motion control for a rotating cylinder include increased accuracy and precision, improved production efficiency, and reduced wear and tear on the cylinder and other components. It also allows for more complex and customizable movements.

What factors should be considered when choosing a motion control system for a rotating cylinder?

When choosing a motion control system for a rotating cylinder, factors such as the required speed and torque, the type of movement needed (e.g. continuous or intermittent), and the environment in which the cylinder will be operating should be taken into account. Other important considerations include the cost, reliability, and compatibility with existing equipment.

Can motion control be used for both small and large rotating cylinders?

Yes, motion control can be used for both small and large rotating cylinders. The size of the cylinder does not affect the functionality of the motion control system, but instead, the specific requirements and components may vary depending on the size of the cylinder.

What are the potential challenges of implementing motion control for a rotating cylinder?

Some potential challenges of implementing motion control for a rotating cylinder include the initial cost of the system, the need for specialized expertise for installation and maintenance, and the potential for technical malfunctions or errors. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and develop a plan to mitigate them before implementing a motion control system.