1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 1 dimension

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify the motion that the different sections of the graph describe

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    t=0-2 is accelerating
    t=2-4 is stationary
    t=4-5 accelerating
    t=5-9 decelerating/slowing down

Options which are given: Constant speed, moving back to the start position and the above. Is my solution correct?
    thank in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

First things first: On such a diagram, what would a constant speed motion look like? What aspect of the diagram tells you the speed? Then: What would acceleration look like?

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    well since the distance is changing over time, that must imply that the object is moving hence for t= 0-2 it is accelerating. Now for t=2-4 distance is not changing therefore it must be stationary. for t=4-5 and t=5-9 the object is accelerating but the first interval (t=4-5) is accelerating faster than the other (t=5-9) . My confusion is that they had provided other possible answers which i have stated, but i can not see any constant acceleration in that diagram

5. Mar 10, 2016 #4

Doc Al

Yes, during that time the object is moving. But moving does not mean accelerating. What's the definition of acceleration?

6. Mar 10, 2016 #5
    the rate of change of velocity over time, does that mean the object is moving in constant speed?

7. Mar 10, 2016 #6

Doc Al

Exactly!

So what would a graph of constant velocity look like?

8. Mar 10, 2016 #7
    Graph that shows distance and time, so distance/time= constant speed. so the different intervals were the distance is changing, is the objects always at constant speed?

9. Mar 11, 2016 #8

Doc Al

Tell me what such a displacement vs time graph looks like. Would it be straight lines, curved lines, flat lines, what?

How would you draw a graph of the motion of an object moving at constant speed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted