Motion in a Plane-Finding velocity and displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity, time, and final displacement of a helium-filled balloon rising straight up with a steady breeze blowing against it. The velocity relative to the ground is found using the Pythagorean theorem, the time before the balloon pops is calculated using the velocity formula, and the final displacement is determined by considering the horizontal and vertical components of the balloon's motion. The final displacement is a vector with a magnitude found using the Pythagorean theorem and a direction of 65 degrees east of north.
skatergirl

Homework Statement

A helium-filled balloon rises straight up, at a rate of 0.7m/s, for a distance of 20m before it pops. A steady breeze of 1.5m/s due east blows against the balloon.

a) What is the velocity of the balloon relative to the ground?
b)How long does the balloon rise before popping?
c) How far from its starting point has the balloon flown(its final displacement)?

Homework Equations

→ →
V=Δd/Δt

→ →
Δd=d2-d1

→ →
a= Δv/Δt

Δv=v2-v1

a2+b2=c2

sin=opp/hyp
cos=adj/hyp
tan=opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having the most trouble with c but I am also not sure if i did a and b right.

a) We know the balloon is traveling 0.7m/s up and 1.5m/s east. I drew a diagram, and then used pythagorean theorem to solve for the velocity relative to the ground.

(0.7m/s)2+(1.5m/s)2=c2
√2.74=c
c=1.7m/s

b) We know the velocity and the displacement, therefore we can use the velocity formula, rearrange it, and solve for time.

v=Δd/Δt
Δt=Δd/v
Δt= 20m/0.7m/s
t= 28.6s

c) I think i just have to find how far the balloon blows east and then use pythagorean theorem to solve for total displacement?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems right to me :smile:

Just remember to tell that for question a) velocity is a vector... you found correctly the magnitude, but you should also see the direction... what you could do is compute the angle with respect to the ground (you already have the components so...)

As for c), same as before (you have total time the balloon travels so you can find the horizontal displacement). Also here remember the angle (displacement is also a vector).

ok so the balloon is moving east and up relative to the ground so would i just put [E] for my direction or how would i show the fact that it is also rising?

Final displacement is a vector starting in the take-off point of the balloon and getting to the final position, therefore it is directed up and east... so it will be a vector with some length (found as you told correctly with Pitagora) and directed with an angle with respect to the horizontal. (by the way this angle should be the same as for velocity)

This holds clearly unless they just ask the horizontal displacement... it depends on the interpretation of how far...

To be sure you can compute both

but i can't put [up(degrees)E] so how would i express that?

for [c], the balloon travels 28.6 sec at a velocity 1.7m/sec...
you have everything you need

if you have any doubts, draw a sketch with time,distance,etc, labelled...

One way is to use polar coordinates ##r-\theta##... otherwise draw it :wink:

i have drawn it and using the total distance (hyp) and the upward distance (adj) i found the angle with cosine. i found 65.7 degrees as my angle

would my answer just be 48.6m[N66degreesE] ?

Good :smile:

Yes, make sure your notation for directions is understood but it is ok

wait...i found the angle for the velocity at the beginning and i got 65 degrees so i should probably just use the 65 degrees seeing as it was calculated with the given numbers and not my calculated rounded ones

48.6m[N65*E] ?

Good, really good work...
(indeed I got 25° computing the other angle using the results not rounded, so 65 is better)

Ok Thanks so much :)

You're welcome :smile:

What is the difference between velocity and displacement?

Velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the direction and magnitude of an object's motion. Displacement, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that measures the straight-line distance and direction between an object's initial and final positions.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the change in time. In other words, velocity is equal to displacement divided by time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. It is a measure of the overall motion of an object. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line on a position-time graph at a specific time.

How is displacement represented on a position-time graph?

Displacement is represented by the slope of a line on a position-time graph. A steeper slope indicates a greater displacement, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller displacement. The direction of the slope also indicates the direction of the displacement.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate of change of distance with respect to time. It only includes magnitude and does not take into account the direction of an object's motion. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of position with respect to time. It includes both magnitude and direction of an object's motion.