Motion in a vertical circle problem

In summary, for a particle to follow a circular path in a vertical circle, the tension of the string must be greater than the weight component in the direction of the centre of the circle. If both terms are equal, the particle will begin to depart from its circular orbit. The condition for pure circular motion is that the tension must be strictly greater than the weight component. At the top of the circle, T = 0 is allowed and the particle will remain in a circular orbit. But at all other points, T = 0 would result in the particle no longer following a circular path.
PFuser1232
Suppose a mass ##m## is whirled at instantaneous speed ##v## on the end of an inextensible string of length ##R## in a vertical circle. Let ##\theta## be the angle the string makes with the horizontal, and let ##W## be the weight of the particle.
According to the equation:
$$T = \frac{mv^2}{R} - W \sin{\theta}$$
##\frac{mv^2}{R}## must be greater than or equal to ##W \sin{\theta}## since tension can never be negative.
But if both terms are equal, then the tension of the string is zero. The particle no longer follows a circular path if ##T = 0##, since this is equivalent to the absence of a string holding on to the particle, right?
So the condition for pure circular motion (no coriolis or linear radial acceleration terms) should really be:
$$\frac{mv^2}{R} > W \sin{\theta}$$
without an equal sign, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be sure of correct plus and minus signs in your equation when considering theta above or below the horizontal.
When above, and if T is 0 at the very top of the circle, what does your free body diagram show for forces, and what does Newton laws tell you at that point? Can T be zero here and still have centripetal motion?

PhanthomJay said:
Be sure of correct plus and minus signs in your equation when considering theta above or below the horizontal.
When above, and if T is 0 at the very top of the circle, what does your free body diagram show for forces, and what does Newton laws tell you at that point? Can T be zero here and still have centripetal motion?

If ##T## is zero, then the only force acting on the particle is its weight. The particle would follow a parabolic path (since the component of weight ##W \sin{\theta}## won't always point towards the centre of the circle). Is my analysis correct?

Last edited:
PhanthomJay said:

This is a somewhat unrelated question: does the component ##W \sin{θ}## point towards the origin in the absence of ##T## (i.e. the absence of a string)?

MohammedRady97 said:
Suppose a mass ##m## is whirled at instantaneous speed ##v## on the end of an inextensible string of length ##R## in a vertical circle. Let ##\theta## be the angle the string makes with the horizontal, and let ##W## be the weight of the particle.
According to the equation:
$$T = \frac{mv^2}{R} - W \sin{\theta}$$
##\frac{mv^2}{R}## must be greater than or equal to ##W \sin{\theta}## since tension can never be negative.
But if both terms are equal, then the tension of the string is zero. The particle no longer follows a circular path if ##T = 0##, since this is equivalent to the absence of a string holding on to the particle, right?
So the condition for pure circular motion (no coriolis or linear radial acceleration terms) should really be:
$$\frac{mv^2}{R} > W \sin{\theta}$$
without an equal sign, is this correct?

You're over-thinking this. If T = 0, then that is the instant that the particle begins to depart from its circular orbit. So, if ##sin(\theta)## increases, it will lose its circular orbit. But, if that happens when ##sin(\theta) = 1##, then it remain in a circular orbit, as ##sin(\theta)## will immediately reduce and non-zero tension will be regained.

Likes PFuser1232
PeroK said:
You're over-thinking this. If T = 0, then that is the instant that the particle begins to depart from its circular orbit. So, if ##sin(\theta)## increases, it will lose its circular orbit. But, if that happens when ##sin(\theta) = 1##, then it remain in a circular orbit, as ##sin(\theta)## will immediately reduce and non-zero tension will be regained.

Excerpt from K&K Mechanics:
"The maximum value of ##W \sin{\theta}## occurs when the mass is vertically up; in this case ##\frac{mv^2}{R} > W##. If this condition is not satisfied, the mass does not follow a circular path but starts to fall; ##\ddot{r}## is no longer zero."

MohammedRady97 said:
Excerpt from K&K Mechanics:
"The maximum value of ##W \sin{\theta}## occurs when the mass is vertically up; in this case ##\frac{mv^2}{R} > W##. If this condition is not satisfied, the mass does not follow a circular path but starts to fall; ##\ddot{r}## is no longer zero."

Yes, I'm the one who's over thinking this! Although, it might be an intertesting question!

Suppose the string is cut when the mass is at the top.

##v_x^2 = Rg##

##x = \sqrt{Rg}t##
##t = \frac{x}{\sqrt{Rg}}##
##y = R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = R-\frac{x^2}{2R}##
##y^2 = R^2 - x^2 + \frac{x^4}{4R^2}##
Compare this with a circular orbit:

##x^2 + y^2 = R^2##
##y^2 = R^2 - x^2##

So, the parabolic orbit is higher than the circular one, so T = 0 at the top leaves the mass in a circular orbit. The tension will be regained.

PeroK said:

PeroK said:
Yes, I'm the one who's over thinking this! Although, it might be an intertesting question!

Suppose the string is cut when the mass is at the top.

##v_x^2 = Rg##

##x = \sqrt{Rg}t##
##t = \frac{x}{\sqrt{Rg}}##
##y = R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = R-\frac{x^2}{2R}##
##y^2 = R^2 - x^2 + \frac{x^4}{4R^2}##
Compare this with a circular orbit:

##x^2 + y^2 = R^2##
##y^2 = R^2 - x^2##

So, the parabolic orbit is higher than the circular one, so T = 0 at the top leaves the mass in a circular orbit. The tension will be regained.

So ##T = 0## is only allowed if it occurs at the top. If ##T = 0## anywhere else, the particle would no longer be in circular motion.
In other words ##W \sin{\theta}## is allowed to be equal to ##\frac{mv^2}{R}## only at the top of the circle. At all other points it must be less than ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
According to your equation(s), the parabolic trajectory coincides with the circular path at ##(0,R)##, at all other points, the parabolic trajectory is higher, right?
I have a question that might not be relevant to this topic (it's related to the difference between circular and parabolic trajectories). If we cut the string at any point in the upper portion of the trajectory, won't ##W \sin{\theta}## still point towards the origin at all times?

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
So ##T = 0## is only allowed if it occurs at the top. If ##T = 0## anywhere else, the particle would no longer be in circular motion.
In other words ##W \sin{\theta}## is allowed to be equal to ##\frac{mv^2}{R}## only at the top of the circle. At all other points it must be less than ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
According to your equation(s), the parabolic trajectory coincides with the circular path at ##(0,R)##, at all other points, the parabolic trajectory is higher, right?
I have a question that might not be relevant to this topic (it's related to the difference between circular and parabolic trajectories). If we cut the string at any point in the upper portion of the trajectory, won't ##W \sin{\theta}## still point towards the origin at all times?

If the mass has enough energy to get to the top with ##v^2 = Rg## then it stays in it's circular orbit. If it has less energy, then it won't make it to the top. The point it leaves its circular orbit must coincide with T = 0.

Likes PFuser1232
PeroK said:
If the mass has enough energy to get to the top with ##v^2 = Rg## then it stays in it's circular orbit. If it has less energy, then it won't make it to the top. The point it leaves its circular orbit must coincide with T = 0.

Thanks PeroK!
What about the second part of my question? How do I explain the fact that although there is a component of weight that is always pointing towards the origin, the particle does not undergo circular motion?

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
Thanks PeroK!
What about the second part of my question? How do I explain the fact that although there is a component of weight that is always pointing towards the origin, the particle does not undergo circular motion?

If the string is cut, W will be vertical. It's the string that creates the circular orbit, not gravity.

PeroK said:
If the string is cut, W will be vertical. It's the string that creates the circular orbit, not gravity.

I understand. My question is really about the components of a force in polar coordinates. Any force can be decomposed into a radial component and a tangential component, but not all trajectories are circles. How do I explain that?

MohammedRady97 said:
I understand. My question is really about the components of a force in polar coordinates. Any force can be decomposed into a radial component and a tangential component, but not all trajectories are circles. How do I explain that?
First off, when an object is being whirled in a vertical circle by a cord, the radial component of the weight does not always point radially inward. When the object is below a horizontal line passing through the center of the circle, the radial component of the weight acts radially outward. At any point, the sum total of that component plus the cord tension is the net centripetal force acting radially inward. But to answer your question as to why all trajectories are not circles, centripetal forces and accelerations imply force and acceleration directed radially inward toward the center of the radius of curvature of the curve at that point. For example, consider a projectile fired from a gun. The projectile follows a parabolic path, and since it's weight is the only force acting on it, the projectile is in free fall with a vertical downward acceleration of g. Now at any point along the parabola, you can break up the weight into its radial and tangential components. The tangential component accelerates the projectile tangentially to the curve, and the radial component accelerates the projectile centripetally inward toward the center of radius of curvature of the curve. The vector sum of these tangential and radial components must of course add to g acting vertically down.

PhanthomJay said:
First off, when an object is being whirled in a vertical circle by a cord, the radial component of the weight does not always point radially inward. When the object is below a horizontal line passing through the center of the circle, the radial component of the weight acts radially outward. At any point, the sum total of that component plus the cord tension is the net centripetal force acting radially inward. But to answer your question as to why all trajectories are not circles, centripetal forces and accelerations imply force and acceleration directed radially inward toward the center of the radius of curvature of the curve at that point. For example, consider a projectile fired from a gun. The projectile follows a parabolic path, and since it's weight is the only force acting on it, the projectile is in free fall with a vertical downward acceleration of g. Now at any point along the parabola, you can break up the weight into its radial and tangential components. The tangential component accelerates the projectile tangentially to the curve, and the radial component accelerates the projectile centripetally inward toward the center of radius of curvature of the curve. The vector sum of these tangential and radial components must of course add to g acting vertically down.

I understand that radial and tangential components of the acceleration of a particle in parabolic motion add up to ##g##. But I still don't understand why this doesn't result in circular motion (in terms of polar coordinates). What makes parabolic motion parabolic in polar coordinates?
Also, in the case of motion in a vertical circle, while ##W \sin{θ}## doesn't point radially inward at all points below the horizontal, it does for ##0 < θ < \pi##.
But when we cut the string, the particle follows a parabolic path.
What's going on here?

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:
I understand that radial and tangential components of the acceleration of a particle in parabolic motion add up to ##g##. But I still don't understand why this doesn't result in circular motion (in terms of polar coordinates). What makes parabolic motion parabolic in polar coordinates?
I am not sure I understand the question. A particle moving on a curved path causes centripetal forces in the direction of the center of curvature of that path at that point. The path does not have to be circular, it just has to be curved. Like a parabola, for instance, where the curved parabolic path is dictated by the combined horizontal and vertical motions.
Also, in the case of motion in a vertical circle, while ##W \sin{θ}## doesn't point radially inward at all points below the horizontal, it does for ##0 < θ < \pi##.
But when we cut the string, the particle follows a parabolic path.
What's going on here?
And why should it not? For the circular motion of an object being whirled by a string in a vertical plane, the weight component and the non-zero string tension provide the centripetal force, and the fixed string length keeps that curved motion circular. When the string is cut, the tension force no longer exists, so the only force acting is the weight force. That's free fall. And since you have a horizontal component of speed when the string is cut, you get your typical parabolic trajectory. Unless the string is cut at 0 degrees or 180 degrees, in which case you just get vertical motion.

PhanthomJay said:
I am not sure I understand the question. A particle moving on a curved path causes centripetal forces in the direction of the center of curvature of that path at that point. The path does not have to be circular, it just has to be curved. Like a parabola, for instance, where the curved parabolic path is dictated by the combined horizontal and vertical motions.And why should it not? For the circular motion of an object being whirled by a string in a vertical plane, the weight component and the non-zero string tension provide the centripetal force, and the fixed string length keeps that curved motion circular. When the string is cut, the tension force no longer exists, so the only force acting is the weight force. That's free fall. And since you have a horizontal component of speed when the string is cut, you get your typical parabolic trajectory. Unless the string is cut at 0 degrees or 180 degrees, in which case you just get vertical motion.

If it's the fixed length of the string that causes the motion of the particle to remain circular, doesn't this mean that the motion is circular because of the geometric constraint involved, rather than the forces? My question is: what is the actual cause of circular motion (in terms of forces, that is)? Because if the only thing required for circular motion is:
(a) a force directed towards the origin
(b) the force is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle
Then it's not very clear to me (in terms of polar coordinates) why projectiles are parabolic and not circular. I can explain why they are parabolic in terms of cartesian coordinates, but I can't in terms of polar coordinates.
There's something I'm missing here.

MohammedRady97 said:
If it's the fixed length of the string that causes the motion of the particle to remain circular, doesn't this mean that the motion is circular because of the geometric constraint involved, rather than the forces? My question is: what is the actual cause of circular motion (in terms of forces, that is)? Because if the only thing required for circular motion is:
(a) a force directed towards the origin
(b) the force is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle
Then it's not very clear to me (in terms of polar coordinates) why projectiles are parabolic and not circular. I can explain why they are parabolic in terms of cartesian coordinates, but I can't in terms of polar coordinates.
There's something I'm missing here.
Let the origin (the free end of the rope) for circular motion be at (0,0). For circular motion, you not only need a centripetal force that is directed radially toward the origin at (0,0), but also that force must always be directed toward the origin at every point along the path. For parabolic motion, the centripetal force at points along the path is directed not to a particular origin, but to a continually changing center of curvature . Maybe that's why the use of polar coordinates are letting you down.

Likes PFuser1232
PhanthomJay said:
Let the origin (the free end of the rope) for circular motion be at (0,0). For circular motion, you not only need a centripetal force that is directed radially toward the origin at (0,0), but also that force must always be directed toward the origin at every point along the path. For parabolic motion, the centripetal force at points along the path is directed not to a particular origin, but to a continually changing center of curvature . Maybe that's why the use of polar coordinates are letting you down.

I think I get it now. How do I mathematically prove that the center of curvature is changing, which implies parabolic motion (not the other way around)?

Sorry , the proof is beyond my expertise. Try googling on 'changing center of curvature'. Or maybe others can help.

Anyone?

MohammedRady97 said:
My question is: what is the actual cause of circular motion (in terms of forces, that is)?
To get circular motion, the total force perpendicular to velocity must be mv2/r.

A.T. said:
To get circular motion, the total force perpendicular to velocity must be mv2/r.

So parabolic motion is not circular (in terms of polar coordinates) because of the following:
Despite the fact that the radial component of weight always points towards the origin, it is not equal to ##\frac{mv^2}{r}## at any point, causing ##r## to vary.
Is this correct?
##F_r = m a_r = m (\ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta}^2)##
The condition for circular motion is ##F_r = - r\dot{\theta}^2##. If this equation is not satisfied, this must mean there's a missing ##\ddot{r}## term (changing radius), right?

Related to Motion in a vertical circle problem

What is motion in a vertical circle problem?

Motion in a vertical circle problem is an exercise in physics where a body moves along a circular path in a vertical plane under the influence of gravity. This problem involves understanding the forces involved in circular motion, such as centripetal force and gravitational force, and determining the velocity, acceleration, and other parameters of the body.

What is the difference between motion in a vertical circle and horizontal circle?

The main difference between motion in a vertical circle and horizontal circle is the direction of the forces acting on the body. In a vertical circle, the gravitational force acts downwards, while in a horizontal circle, the centripetal force acts towards the center of the circle.

How do you solve a motion in a vertical circle problem?

To solve a motion in a vertical circle problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the body, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and the equations of circular motion to find the unknown variables, such as velocity, acceleration, and radius. It is important to keep track of the direction of the forces and use the appropriate sign convention.

What is the minimum speed required to complete a vertical circle?

The minimum speed required to complete a vertical circle is equal to the square root of the product of the acceleration due to gravity and the diameter of the circle. This minimum speed, also known as the critical speed, ensures that the centripetal force is equal to the gravitational force, allowing the body to maintain a circular path.

How does the radius affect the motion in a vertical circle problem?

The radius of the circle has a significant impact on the motion in a vertical circle problem. A smaller radius means a tighter curve, resulting in a higher centripetal force and a faster speed to maintain the circular motion. On the other hand, a larger radius means a gentler curve, requiring a lower centripetal force and a slower speed. However, the time taken to complete one revolution remains the same for any radius.