Motion in fields - Space Shuttle orbiting the Earth

In summary, the space shuttle orbiting the Earth serves multiple purposes such as conducting scientific experiments and transporting astronauts and supplies to the International Space Station. It maintains its orbit through the use of thrusters and its orbital speed, while experiencing a continuous state of free-fall due to Earth's gravity. The Earth's magnetic field has minimal impact on its orbit, but helps protect the shuttle from harmful radiation. The shuttle completes one orbit in approximately 90 minutes.
KrisG
I don;t really know how should I "tackle" this problem. The only thing I got is the answer for a) i) 1.9 * 10^11 J.

It's a problem from IB Oxford Study Guide.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4986/fiz6.jpg

I would be very grateful if You could help :)
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a.ii. What equations describe uniform circular motion?

Related to Motion in fields - Space Shuttle orbiting the Earth

1. What is the purpose of a space shuttle orbiting the Earth?

The main purpose of a space shuttle orbiting the Earth is to conduct scientific experiments and observations in space that cannot be done on Earth. It also serves as a means of transportation for astronauts and supplies to and from the International Space Station.

2. How does the space shuttle maintain its orbit around the Earth?

The space shuttle maintains its orbit around the Earth through the use of thrusters and its orbital speed. The thrusters are used to adjust the shuttle's speed and direction, while its orbital speed allows it to continuously fall towards the Earth while also moving forward enough to maintain a circular orbit.

3. What is the effect of gravity on the space shuttle while orbiting the Earth?

The space shuttle experiences a continuous state of free-fall due to the Earth's gravity. This means that the shuttle is constantly falling towards the Earth, but its forward motion keeps it in a circular orbit instead of crashing into the planet.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect the space shuttle's orbit?

The Earth's magnetic field has a minimal effect on the space shuttle's orbit. However, it does help protect the shuttle and its occupants from harmful cosmic radiation by deflecting charged particles away from the shuttle's path.

5. How long does it take for the space shuttle to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The time it takes for the space shuttle to complete one orbit around the Earth, known as its orbital period, is approximately 90 minutes. This can vary slightly depending on the shuttle's altitude and speed.