Motion of 4 charges positioned in a square shape

In summary, four particles with equal charges and masses are placed on a square and released from rest. They accelerate outward along the diagonals while maintaining their square shape. The questions ask about the motion being constant-acceleration, finding the common speed when the side length is 2a and when the particles are infinitely far apart. Coulomb's Law is used to solve for these values.
Berker

Homework Statement

Four particles with equal charges q and equal masses m are placed on a plane so that
they form the corners of a square with side length a. The charges are then released from
rest at this configuration (shown as (i) in the figure). After the release, the particles
accelerate outward along the directions of the diagonals. As all charges are equal, they
keep the "square shape" they form, i.e., corners always form a square with side length
continuously increasing with time.
Adsız.png

(a) Is this a constant-acceleration motion?
(b) Consider the moment of time when the side length has reached the value 2a (shown
as (f ) in the figure). Let v be the common speed of the charges. Find v.
(c) Consider the time when the charges are infinitely far apart (i.e., side length is 1).
Find the common speed V∞ of the charges.

Homework Equations

F=[kq(1)q(2)]/r^2
F=q.E

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I do not need to think algebraically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Berker said:
I think I do not need to think algebraically.
Then how are you planning on answering (b) and (c)? Both would appear to require an algebraic answer.

Just because you don't have values for "a" and "q" doesn't mean you don't need to think algebraically. You have Coulomb's Law as one of your equations. Think about superposition and pick one particle. How will the other particles affect that particle?

1. What is the equation for the force between four charges positioned in a square shape?

The equation for the force between four charges positioned in a square shape is given by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, the force would be the sum of the forces between each pair of charges.

2. How does the distance between the charges affect the force between them?

The force between charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, meaning that as the distance increases, the force decreases. In the case of four charges positioned in a square, the force would be strongest when the charges are closest together at the corners of the square.

3. How does the direction of the charges impact the overall motion of the four charges?

The direction of the charges can impact the overall motion of the four charges in a square shape. If all four charges have the same sign (positive or negative), they will repel each other and the square will expand. If two opposite charges are positive and the other two are negative, they will attract each other and the square will contract.

4. Can the motion of the four charges be predicted or controlled?

Yes, the motion of the four charges can be predicted and controlled by using the equations of motion and taking into account the forces acting on the charges. By adjusting the values of the charges and the distance between them, the motion of the charges can be manipulated in a desired way.

5. How does the motion of the four charges change if one or more of the charges is moved to a different location?

If one or more of the charges is moved to a different location, the forces between the charges will change, causing the motion of the charges to change as well. The overall shape of the square may also change depending on the new positions of the charges. Additionally, the strength of the forces between the charges may change, affecting the speed and direction of the motion of the charges.