Motion problem for constant acceleration of rabbit

In summary: This gives you the time it will take for the wolf to catch up to the rabbit.In summary, the wolf will catch up to the rabbit in 5.46 seconds.
chroncile

Homework Statement

A rabbit runs past a bush where a wolf is lying in wait. The rabbit is running at 3.0 m/s. The wolf leaps out 0.50 seconds after the rabbit has passed and accelerates at 1.2 m/s2 chasing after the rabbit. If the wolf can keep up this acceleration, how long will it take for the wolf to catch the rabbit?

Homework Equations

d = vi * t + 0.5 * a * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 5.85 s, but the answer is 5.46 s so I did it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
When did you measure the time from? Hint: Where is the rabbit when the wolf starts chasing?

Show how you got your answer.

tR = tw + 0.5 s
dw = dr + 1.5 m

Wolf:

vi = 0
a = 1.2 m/s2

d = vit + 0.5 at2
d = 0.5(1.2)t2
d = 0.6t2

Rabbit:

v = 3.0 m/s
d = v * t
d = 3.0t

Since tr = tw + 0.5 s
dr = 3.0(tw + 0.5)
dr = 3.0tw + 1.5

Wolf:

Since dw = dr + 1.5

0.6t2 = 3.0t + 1.5 + 1.5
0.6t2 - 3.0t - 3.0

t = 5.85 or -0.85

chroncile said:
tR = tw + 0.5 s
This is true.
dw = dr + 1.5 m
This is only true at the moment the wolf starts moving. Skip it.

Wolf:

vi = 0
a = 1.2 m/s2

d = vit + 0.5 at2
d = 0.5(1.2)t2
d = 0.6t2
Good. This is the wolf's position measured from his starting point.

Rabbit:

v = 3.0 m/s
d = v * t
d = 3.0t

Since tr = tw + 0.5 s
dr = 3.0(tw + 0.5)
dr = 3.0tw + 1.5
Good. This is the rabbit's position measured from the wolf's starting point.

Wolf:

Since dw = dr + 1.5
Nah. Just set the two positions equal to solve for when the wolf reaches the rabbit.

Okay, great I got the right answer, but can you please explain to me why it's not + 1.5?

chroncile said:
Okay, great I got the right answer, but can you please explain to me why it's not + 1.5?
Initially the distance between them is 1.5 m. But the wolf catches up to the rabbit, which means they are at the same place. You've already included that head start when you wrote your equations.

The way I would solve it (equivalent to yours of course), measuring everything from the moment and position of the wolf when he starts chasing:

Xr = 3t + 1.5

Xw = 0.6t^2

Just set them equal.

1. What is a motion problem for constant acceleration?

A motion problem for constant acceleration is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object (in this case, a rabbit) that is accelerating at a constant rate. It typically involves finding the object's position, velocity, or acceleration at a given time.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a rabbit in a motion problem?

The acceleration of a rabbit in a motion problem can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed. In this formula, the initial and final velocities must be in the same units and the time must be in seconds.

3. What is the role of time in a motion problem for constant acceleration?

Time is a crucial factor in a motion problem for constant acceleration. It is used to calculate the acceleration, as well as the final velocity and position of the rabbit. The longer the time, the greater the change in velocity and position of the rabbit will be.

4. How does the velocity of the rabbit change over time in a motion problem for constant acceleration?

In a motion problem for constant acceleration, the velocity of the rabbit increases or decreases at a constant rate over time. This means that the rabbit's velocity is changing by the same amount every second. For example, if the rabbit's acceleration is 2 meters per second squared, its velocity will increase by 2 meters per second every second.

5. Can a rabbit change direction during a motion problem for constant acceleration?

Yes, a rabbit can change direction during a motion problem for constant acceleration. This can occur when the rabbit's acceleration is negative, meaning it is slowing down. If the rabbit is initially moving forward and then starts to slow down, it will eventually come to a stop and then start moving in the opposite direction.