Calculating Time for Bus to Catch Anna - Motion Problem

• Thread starter TyErd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
This is the formula for displacement with constant acceleration. The formula for displacement with uniform acceleration is x = xo + vo*t + 1/2*a*t^2. Now, if we consider the cyclist as the reference point, then the displacement of the bus is 12t. And the displacement of the cyclist is also 12t, since they meet at the same point. So, 12t = 0 + 0 + 1/2*a*t^2. Simplifying it, we get 1/2*a*t^2 - 12t = 0. Solving for t, we get t = 8 seconds. In summary, the cyclist, Anna, is traveling at a constant speed of
TyErd
A cyclist, Anna is traveling at a constant speed of 12m/s when she passes a stationary bus. The bus starts moving just as Anna passes, and it accelerates uniformaly at 1.5m/s.

How long does the bus take to catch Anna??

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the relevant equations. Show your attempts.

alright this is what i did but i didnt get the correct answer.

equation formed
12t=0.5*8*12 + 1.5t(t-8)

simplify it down and i got 1.5t^2-12t-48=0, t>0 is 10.9

answer is suppose to be 16

Bus starts from rest. So in time t the distance moved by the bus is 1/2*a*t^2. During that time distance moved by the cyclist is v*t. If the meet after this time, these distances must be equal.

is a the acceleration? and why is it t^2?

if you can, can you show me your full working out

Yes. a is the acceleration. What is the kinematic equation which contains initial velocity, acceleration, time and displacement? And unit of acceleration is m/s^2

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...thnx i get it now. I am suppose to use x=ut+1/at^2 formula

Yes.

1. How do you calculate the time for a bus to catch Anna in a motion problem?

In order to calculate the time for a bus to catch Anna in a motion problem, you need to know the distance between the bus and Anna, the speed of the bus, and the speed of Anna. You can then use the formula time = distance / relative speed to calculate the time it will take for the bus to catch Anna.

2. What is the formula for calculating time in a motion problem?

The formula for calculating time in a motion problem is time = distance / speed. This formula can be used to calculate the time it will take for an object to travel a certain distance at a given speed.

3. How do you determine the relative speed in a motion problem?

To determine the relative speed in a motion problem, you need to find the difference between the speeds of two objects. In the case of a bus catching Anna, the relative speed would be the speed of the bus minus the speed of Anna.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate time in any motion problem?

Yes, the formula time = distance / speed can be used to calculate time in any motion problem as long as you have the necessary information, such as the distance and speed of the object.

5. What units should be used when calculating time in a motion problem?

The units used to measure time in a motion problem can vary, but it is important to ensure that all units are consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in meters and the speed is measured in meters per second, then the time should be measured in seconds. It is also important to convert units if necessary to ensure consistency.