Motor characteristics (plots in matlab)

In summary: Your Name] In summary, a 25 HP, 3-phase, 60 Hz, 4-pole, 480 Volts, squirrel-cage induction machine with given constants will be used to turn an air-handler machine. The torque load provided by the fan increases with the square of the speed and 15000 watts are needed to rotate at 1720 RPM. The motor has a moment of inertia (J) equal to 5 kg-m^2 and is energized from a 3-phase source with a terminal voltage of 480 Volts L-L and 60 Hz. A Mat-Lab program needs to be written to calculate all operational quantities of the machine and plot various graphs. The equations for torque,
ridemx

Homework Statement

The constants of a 25 HP, 3-phase, 60 Hz, 4-pole, 480 Volts, squirrel-cage induction
machine are:
X1 =1.3 Ohms X2 = 1.2 Ohms Xm = 37 Ohms
R1 =0.24 Ohms R2 = 0.2 Ohms Rm = Negligible

The motor will be used to turn an air-handler machine. The torque load provided by the fan increases with the square of the speed, and it is known that 15000 watts are needed to rotate at 1720 RPM. The motor-fan combination has a moment of inertia (J) equal to 5 kg-m^2
The motor is energized from a 3-phase source with a terminal voltage is 480 Volts L-L and 60 Hz. Assume that all other mechanical losses have been included into the requirements of the fan. Write a Mat-Lab Program that will calculate all operational quantities of the machine.

The output of the program should plot:
Speed vs Time
Magnitude of Armature Current vs Time (I1)
Torque vs Time
Motor Efficiency vs Speed
Torque vs Speed

Homework Equations

torque=I*(dw/dt)=Ia

where:
w=angular velocity
a=angular acceleration
I=moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the efficiency vs speed and the torque vs speed graph but cannot figure out how to get anything in terms of time. The prof. mentioned in class that the above equation would be used but I am not sure how. I see how the equation can be used to get speed vs time from torque vs time or vice versa but I don't know how to get either of those to begin with.

Attachments

• ECE3304proj.m
    2.1 KB · Views: 752
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your problem on the forum. I understand the importance of accurately calculating and predicting the operational quantities of a machine. After reviewing your post, I have come up with a potential solution to your problem.

Firstly, I would suggest setting up a system of equations using the given constants and equations mentioned in the problem statement. This will help you solve for the unknown quantities, such as speed and torque, in terms of time.

For example, using the equation torque=I*(dw/dt)=Ia, you can solve for the angular acceleration, a, which will then allow you to calculate the speed at any given time. Similarly, you can use the equation for torque provided in the problem statement and the equation for power (P=I*V*cos(theta)) to solve for the magnitude of armature current, I1, at any given time.

Once you have these equations set up, you can use Mat-Lab to plot the desired graphs. For the speed vs time graph, you can use the equation for angular velocity (w=w0+at) where w0 is the initial angular velocity (which can be calculated using the given speed and frequency). Similarly, for the torque vs time graph, you can use the equation for torque (T=Ia) where Ia is the armature current calculated using the equation mentioned above.

I hope this helps you in developing your Mat-Lab program. If you have any further questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to reach out. As scientists, it is important to work together and share our knowledge to solve complex problems. Good luck with your program!

1. What are motor characteristics?

Motor characteristics refer to the performance and behavior of a motor, such as its speed, torque, and efficiency, under different operating conditions.

2. What is a motor characteristic plot?

A motor characteristic plot is a graphical representation of the relationship between a motor's speed, torque, and efficiency. It is often used to evaluate the performance of a motor and determine its operating limits.

3. How do I create a motor characteristic plot in MATLAB?

To create a motor characteristic plot in MATLAB, you first need to collect data on the motor's speed, torque, and efficiency under different operating conditions. Then, you can use the plot function to plot the data points and use curve fitting techniques to generate a smooth curve.

4. What information can I gather from a motor characteristic plot?

A motor characteristic plot can provide information on the motor's maximum speed, torque, and efficiency, as well as its operating range and any potential limitations. It can also help identify any trends or patterns in the motor's behavior.

5. How can motor characteristic plots be used in motor selection and design?

Motor characteristic plots can be used to compare the performance of different motors and determine the most suitable one for a specific application. They can also be used in the design process to optimize the motor's performance and ensure it meets the required specifications.