Motorcycle Kinematic Equations

In summary, the motorcycle will overtake the car after 2 seconds. The motorcycle will have traveled 10.0m further than the car during that time.
charitysmama
[SOLVED] Kinematic Equations

This is the question. I have sat here and tried to figure out how to even start this problem for hours. I can't seem to get it through my head. If someone could help me set it up, I can figure out the rest I think. Thanks in Advance.

Q. A car and a motorcycle start from rest at the same time on a straight track, but the motorcycle is 25.0 m behind the car. The car accelerates at a uniform rate of 3.70m/s^2 and the motorcycle at a uniform rate of 4.40m/^2. (a) How much time elapses before the motorcycle overtakes the car? (b) How far will each have traveled during that time? (c) How far ahead of the car will the motorcycle be 2.00 s later? (Both vehicles are still accelerating.)

Anyway... Some assistance in setting it up would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Start by making a list of the things that you know and the things that you don't know.

I know the initial position of the motorcycle is 0m and the initial position of the car is 25m. Initial velocity of both is 0 m/s. Acceleration of the motorcycle is 4.40m/s^2 and the car is 3.70m/s^2. Initial time for both is 0 s. I do not know final position, final velocity. Final time is what I am looking for.

charitysmama said:
I know the initial position of the motorcycle is 0m and the initial position of the car is 25m. Initial velocity of both is 0 m/s. Acceleration of the motorcycle is 4.40m/s^2 and the car is 3.70m/s^2. Initial time for both is 0 s. I do not know final position, final velocity. Final time is what I am looking for.
Perhaps it would be easier if you considered their relative position and accelerations. Suppose you define your reference frame as the frame of the motorcycle. Then the relative position of the car to the motorcycle is 25m and the relative acceleration of the car to the bike is [itex](3.70-4.40)m.s^{-2}[/itex]. Do you follow?

Last edited:
Not at all...

I'm sorry. I've done well up until these. I do not really like asking for help... but for whatever reason, this one is flying right past me. I appreciate the help.

charitysmama said:
Not at all...

I'm sorry. I've done well up until these. I do not really like asking for help... but for whatever reason, this one is flying right past me. I appreciate the help.
No problem. Okay, imagine that you are sat on the bike. Initially, you measure the distance between you and the car as 25m. Then, you both begin to accelerate, the car is accelerating at 3.70 m/s^2 relative to the ground, but you are also accelerating at 4.40 m/s^2 relative to the ground. Therefore, from your point of view on the bike, the acceleration of the car is (3.70 - 4.40)m/s^2.

Does that explain it any better?

So... It would be (-0.7)m/s^2? Acceleration that is...

charitysmama said:
So... It would be (-0.7)m/s^2? Acceleration that is...
Correct. So for question (a) you want to know the time t at which the relative position of the car to the bike is x=0 (i.e. when the bike is level with the car). You know the initial [relative] initial position and the relative acceleration, so which kinematic equation should you use?

Um... Xf=Xi+Vi(tf-ti)+1/2a(tf-ti)^2? Maybe?

Correct :approve:

Thanks... got it done just in time for class... then he decided we wouldn't turn it in. Grr...

What are motorcycle kinematic equations?

Motorcycle kinematic equations are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of a motorcycle, taking into account its velocity, acceleration, and time. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of a motorcycle in different situations.

What are the three main kinematic equations used for motorcycles?

The three main kinematic equations used for motorcycles are the displacement equation, the velocity equation, and the acceleration equation. These equations are based on the principles of kinematics and can be used to solve for any of the three variables (displacement, velocity, and acceleration) if the other two are known.

How do you calculate displacement using kinematic equations?

Displacement can be calculated using the equation:
Δx = v0t + ½at2
Where Δx is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. This equation is derived from the definition of displacement, which is the change in position or distance traveled.

Can kinematic equations be used for motorcycles on inclined surfaces?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used for motorcycles on inclined surfaces. In this case, the acceleration will be affected by the angle of the incline, and the equations can be modified accordingly. For example, the acceleration equation becomes:
a = g sinθ
Where g is the acceleration due to gravity and θ is the angle of the incline.

How are kinematic equations used to analyze motorcycle collisions?

Kinematic equations can be used to analyze motorcycle collisions by determining the velocities and accelerations of the vehicles involved. By using these equations and other principles of physics, scientists and engineers can understand the dynamics of the collision and identify potential safety improvements for motorcycles.