Move to Tucson Completed: New Astronomy Adventures Ahead!

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, the author moved to Tucson from Louisiana and is excited to be there. He is looking forward to going to some observatories and has noticed that dark skies are becoming a rare resource.
Drakkith
Mentor
Well, my move to Tucson is completed! 1100 miles, 20 hours, most of which was across Texas! (Shreveport, LA to Tucson, AZ)

Glad to be out here in Tucson finally. Already sent in my application to join the local astronomy organization, and I can't wait to go to some of the observatories around town! Kitt Peak is only about an hour away! Can't wait to go, as I've never been to a dark sky location before!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats on the move!

Drakkith said:
Well, my move to Tucson is completed! 1100 miles, 20 hours, most of which was across Texas! (Shreveport, LA to Tucson, AZ)

Glad to be out here in Tucson finally. Already sent in my application to join the local astronomy organization, and I can't wait to go to some of the observatories around town! Kitt Peak is only about an hour away! Can't wait to go, as I've never been to a dark sky location before!
Good viewing and good luck! My skies are generally mag 6.5, and even 7x50 binoculars can show you a lot. Dark skies are a precious resource, IMO and increasingly we are losing them.

Drakkith said:
most of which was across Texas!

Reminds me of the joke about the Texan bragging to a Vermonter:

TX: Why, Texas is so big, I can drive a whole day and night and another day, and I'm still in Texas!

VT: (sympathetically) I know what you mean... I used to have a car like that myself.

What area of Tucson are you in? My wife and I visited there several times (usually driving across Texas!) during my mother's last years. We usually stayed north of the city proper, along Oracle Road a few miles north of Tucson Mall.

jtbell said:
What area of Tucson are you in? My wife and I visited there several times (usually driving across Texas!) during my mother's last years. We usually stayed north of the city proper, along Oracle Road a few miles north of Tucson Mall.

The eastern part, near Tanque Verde.

If you're into used book stores, make sure to check out Bookmans. There's a store out that way, in the plaza at Speedway & Wilmot. Also at Speedway & Grant, and Ina & Thornydale (in the area where we used to stay). I bought a lot of used CDs at those stores on my visits to Tucson.

I visited Tuscon a lot while I lived in Phoenix. My first taste of Chipotle was there!

Tuscon is amazing for astronomy because the city itself actually restricts light pollution. However, it's still a city, so I've definitely seen darker skies. Go out into the desert to really see the sky!

We also had a "Dark Sky" location in Georgia, not too far from where I lived, and in fact they even had an astronomy village. However, the sky actually wasn't as dark as I had hoped. To the point that I actually thought my home growing up in New Hampshire had better viewing. But that shows you how precious "dark skies" really are I guess.

I still kick myself for not visiting Kitt Peak while I was there...

Gale said:
Tuscon is amazing for astronomy because the city itself actually restricts light pollution. However, it's still a city, so I've definitely seen darker skies. Go out into the desert to really see the sky!

I think if you head out the road to the west towards Kitt Peak, past the low peaks that are just west of the city, out into the desert a bit, that might be dark enough. The peaks would shield most of the "sideways" light from the city.

Related to Move to Tucson Completed: New Astronomy Adventures Ahead!

1. What is the purpose of the "Move to Tucson Completed" project?

The purpose of the "Move to Tucson Completed" project is to establish a new astronomy research facility in Tucson, Arizona. This facility will be equipped with state-of-the-art technology and will provide scientists with new opportunities for groundbreaking research in the field of astronomy.

2. Why was Tucson chosen as the location for this new astronomy facility?

Tucson was chosen as the location for this new astronomy facility due to its ideal climate and geographic location. The city offers clear and dark skies, making it perfect for observing the night sky, and is also close to other major research institutions and universities.

3. What kind of research will be conducted at the new facility in Tucson?

The new astronomy facility in Tucson will focus on a range of research topics, including studying the formation and evolution of galaxies, searching for exoplanets, and understanding the origins of the universe. It will also serve as a hub for collaboration and innovation among scientists in the field of astronomy.

4. How will the new facility in Tucson benefit the scientific community?

The new astronomy facility in Tucson will benefit the scientific community by providing access to advanced technology and resources for conducting groundbreaking research. It will also foster collaboration and the sharing of knowledge among scientists, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field of astronomy.

5. When will the new astronomy facility in Tucson be fully operational?

The new astronomy facility in Tucson is expected to be fully operational within the next two years. Construction and installation of equipment are currently underway, and the facility will be open to scientists and researchers as soon as it is completed.