MS-PROMPT commands

1. anyone knows where to get a list of all the ms-prompt commands ?

2. jcsd
  3. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

run the command "help"

4. Specified COMMAND search directory bad

Microsoft(R) Windows Millennium
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

i only got this when i typed "command help"
    and "bad command bad file name " when i type "help"

5. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Works on my machine.

I get the sneaky suspicion you did exactly what you just said; you ran "command help" then ran "help". Try again, but just run "help"...

"command help" does something else entirely, among other things, as I've tested here, it puts you in a shell without any of your environment variables set properly; in particular your path isn't set right, so when you subsqeuently tried to run "help", it didn't know the path to search.

6. it's the same.
    i typed c:\help
    and got a message"bad command or file name"

7. Did you type "C:\help" at the Dos prompt or just "help". Just "help" by itself is what needs to be entered at the command prompt.

8. just "help"

9. enigma

enigma 1,815
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"help" works for me as well.

Is there anything in particular you're trying to do, Vincent?

10. From start ->run, you could try entering "cmd.exe". If that doesn't work, see if a command prompt shortcut exists in your accessories folder on your start menu, if it does, start that.

Command.com (aka command) is the 16 bit ms-dos command intrepreter. cmd.exe is a 32 bit Windows application that emulates dos.

Does Win ME have cmd.exe?

11. windows cannot find "cmd.exe".

12. Some source: http://www.google.com and http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/tutorials_online/topics/itopics/dos-cmds.html
    Some of this doesn't work in XP

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?