Diode Current & Output Voltage Calculation with V(1)=10 V and V(0)=5 V

In summary, to determine the current through each diode and the output voltage Vo in a circuit with a voltage threshold of 0.6V, one can assume the state of the diodes and confirm using the voltages on both the anode and cathode. The highest potential sources should be considered first, assuming their diodes are on, and checking for contradictions. It is important to include all sources and resistors in the equivalent circuit diagram.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

If V(1)=10 V and V(0)=5 V, and the voltage threshold for all diodes is 0.6 V. Determine the current through every diode and the output voltage Vo if V1=V4= 5V and V2=V3=10 V.
001.jpg

Homework Equations

Basic KCL & KVL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the basic idea to determine whether the diode is on or off is by assuming one state and then confirm it. The thing is I could do that with two or three diodes at most. but I know another to determine its state which is done by determining the voltages on both the anode and the cathode separately. And that I what I was going, but I couldn't determine some voltages like VA and VB in the following figure:
002.jpg

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Certain diodes being turned on will dominate things. Once a diode is on it will effectively "clamp" the potential to one diode-drop from the source that's driving that current. So look for the highest potential sources first and assume their diodes are on. See what that would imply for the others (look for contradictions).

In your equivalent circuit diagram you seem to have "lost" a 5k resistor, and the 10k resistor seems to have become a 1k resistor. You also left out the 5V source for Vo.

gneill said:
You also left out the 5V source for Vo.
There is no 5V source at Vo. Vo is our output.

Vo is different from V(0). :smile:

V(0) = 5V is just telling us that for this gate, LOGIC LOW is approx 5V

NascentOxygen said:
There is no 5V source at Vo. Vo is our output.

Vo is different from V(0). :smile:

V(0) = 5V is just telling us that for this gate, LOGIC LOW is approx 5V
Ah. I should have spotted that. Thanks.

My suggested approach still applies though.

Looking good.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. :)

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electric current.

2. How is current calculated in a diode?

The current in a diode is calculated using Ohm's Law, where current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) across the diode divided by the resistance (R) of the diode. In simple terms, the current through a diode is directly proportional to the voltage across it.

3. What is the output voltage of a diode?

The output voltage of a diode depends on the input voltage and the characteristics of the diode. In the given example, with an input voltage of 10 V and a diode that drops 5 V, the output voltage would be 5 V.

4. How is the output voltage of a diode determined?

The output voltage of a diode can be determined by subtracting the voltage drop of the diode from the input voltage. This voltage drop is typically around 0.7 V for a silicon diode and 0.3 V for a germanium diode.

5. What is the significance of V(1) and V(0) in diode current and output voltage calculation?

V(1) and V(0) refer to the voltage at the anode and cathode of the diode, respectively. These values are used to calculate the voltage drop across the diode and determine the output voltage. V(1) is typically the input voltage and V(0) is usually 0 V or ground.