Multiple Random Variables - find probability given joint pdf

In summary, to find P(X>Y>Z>U), you can approach it as a counting problem or use the joint distribution function with appropriate bounds. For P(X+Y+Z+U>=1), your approach is on the right track, but the bounds of the integral should reflect the condition and the order of integration should be considered. You can also use the joint distribution function to find this probability with appropriate bounds.
ksm100

Homework Statement

Show that the function defined by f(x,y,z,u) = 24*(1+x+y+z+u)^(-5) for x,y,z,u>0 and f=0 elsewhere is a joint density function.

Find P(X>Y>Z>U) and P(X+Y+Z+U>=1).

Homework Equations

distribution function = quadruple integral from 0 to x (or y or z or u) here of the joint density.
P(X<=x, Y<= y, Z <= z, U <= u) = F(x,y,z,u) = multiple integral (each variable from 0 to infinity) of f(x,y,z,u)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've checked that f is a joint density function by integrating from 0 to infinity for all variables and getting 1 as an answer.

What I'm unsure of is how to find the probabilities requested. I've also found that the marginal density of X is f_X(x)=(1+x)^(-2) by integrating from 0 to infinity for the other three variables, so F_X(x)=1-1/(x+1).

I think this all has to do with the bounds of the integral of the joint pdf, but I'm having trouble figuring out what they are.
For the first probability, P(X<Y<Z<U), I know from the solutions it's equal to 1/24, and I'm tempted to think that since the marginal densities involve only one variable this can be reduced to essentially a counting problem where there are 4! orders and one that you want so the probability is 1/4! = 1/24. But I'm not sure if this is legitimate or if it's just a coincidence and the actual solution requires integration and such.

For the second probability, P(X+Y+Z+U>=1), I thought it should be the integral of the joint pdf for u,z,y from 0 to 1 (because if they are greater than 1 then P=1 which isn't interesting) and x from 0 to 1-y-z-u but this didn't work out (the solution says the answer should be 15/16).

If anyone could offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It's great to see another scientist on this forum. Let's take a look at the two probabilities you are trying to find.

For P(X>Y>Z>U), you can approach it as a counting problem, but it's important to make sure that the bounds of the integral reflect the given condition. In this case, the condition is all variables must be greater than 0, so the bounds should reflect that. You can also use the joint distribution function to find this probability, which would involve integrating from 0 to infinity for all variables.

For P(X+Y+Z+U>=1), your approach is on the right track, but the bounds of the integral are not quite correct. Remember that for this probability, the condition is that the sum of all variables must be greater than or equal to 1. So the bounds should reflect that, and you should also consider the order in which you integrate the variables. You can also use the joint distribution function to find this probability, which would involve integrating from 1 to infinity for the sum of all variables.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a joint probability distribution?

A joint probability distribution is a mathematical function that assigns probabilities to different combinations of values for multiple random variables. It allows us to calculate the likelihood of two or more random variables occurring together.

2. How do you find the probability of multiple random variables given a joint probability distribution?

To find the probability of multiple random variables given a joint probability distribution, we can use the formula P(A,B) = P(A) * P(B|A), where A and B are two random variables and P(A) and P(B|A) are the probabilities of A and B occurring, respectively. This formula is based on the product rule of probability.

3. What is the difference between a joint probability distribution and a marginal probability distribution?

A joint probability distribution gives the probabilities for all combinations of values for multiple random variables, while a marginal probability distribution gives the probabilities for each individual random variable. Marginal probability distributions can be calculated by summing the probabilities of all possible combinations of values for the other random variables.

4. Can a joint probability distribution be used to calculate conditional probabilities?

Yes, a joint probability distribution can be used to calculate conditional probabilities. Conditional probabilities are calculated by dividing the joint probability by the marginal probability of the condition. For example, P(A|B) = P(A,B)/P(B).

5. How does correlation between random variables affect their joint probability distribution?

Correlation between random variables can affect their joint probability distribution. If the random variables are positively correlated, then their joint probability distribution will have higher probabilities for combinations of values where both variables are high or both are low. Conversely, if the random variables are negatively correlated, then their joint probability distribution will have higher probabilities for combinations of values where one variable is high and the other is low. If the random variables are uncorrelated, then their joint probability distribution will have equal probabilities for all combinations of values.