1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplier design help

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    hello,

I'm trying to design a "calculator" that multiplies two four bit binary numbers without using any type of programming or microcontrollers. so far it can multiply and show me the answer, I am using a hex keypad, and ascii display. but I am having trouble since i have to actually show "5x5=25" since x equals 1010 in binary and = equals 1101 in binary. everytime i press those numbers its going to use them to multiply with the number i input before.... Im stuck and frustrated... any help would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

perplexabot

Gold Member

Hello.
    I am not so sure how you are implementing this design but why not have it automatically print the "x" sign after you enter the first number and automatically enter "=" after you enter the second number? Is this an option?

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    is that idk where to send the "1010" value when i press it... thats what i have in my head lol but dont know how to implement

5. Dec 9, 2013 #4

perplexabot

Gold Member

What do you mean by that? How are you going to implement this design without programming and a microcontroller? Like strait from the keypad to the LCD?

6. Dec 9, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like you need to throw an error if the user types anything other than Y x Z =.

If they try to type a 2-digit number like YY x ZZ = just display ERROR or something similar. Or EEEE.

7. Dec 9, 2013 #6
    3x4 Keypad

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ok, so I am designing a basic multiplication calculator using only logic gates registers buffers and ram, and any other chip that doesnt involve programming or microcontrollers. i have the rest of the circuit done all I need is the implementation of a keypad that gives me the output of the number I am pressing in binary(yes i know there is a 3x4 keypad alreade but the profesor wants us to implement it)

3. The attempt at a solution

Capture.PNG

this is my attempt so far, I have no idea what else to do. maybe someone can help me with this

Thanks in advance! :D

8. Dec 9, 2013 #7

berkeman

(Two threads merged...)

9. Dec 9, 2013 #8

berkeman

You need to post your state diagram and truth table(s) before we can be of much help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted