Multivariable Calc: ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ )

In summary: You got the derivative with respect to x. But you need the divergence of the given function. How is divergence defined? What product of the vector-vector function with the nabla operator?
toboldlygo

Homework Statement

Evaluate: ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) (del dot (r^3 times vector r)), where r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) and vector r = (x, y, z)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, taking the partial derivative of the x component, I got 2r3/2. Doing the same thing for the y, z components I got a similar answer. This gives me a solution of ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) = 6r3/2. However, according to my professor, the actual answer is just 6r^3. I don't know where I'm going wrong in my calculations, and any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Try the del operator in spherical coordinates.

I thought about doing that, but my professor always uses r = ||r|| where r is a vector (x, y, z), and I've used this same definition of r previously in the same worksheet to get the right answer. However, if I were to do that, how would I set that problem up?

toboldlygo said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate: ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) (del dot (r^3 times vector r)), where r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) and vector r = (x, y, z)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, taking the partial derivative of the x component, I got 2r3/2. Doing the same thing for the y, z components I got a similar answer. This gives me a solution of ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) = 6r3/2. However, according to my professor, the actual answer is just 6r^3. I don't know where I'm going wrong in my calculations, and any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

You have the wrong derivatives:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x r^3 = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2} \neq 2 r^{3/2} = 2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4} [/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
You have the wrong derivatives:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x r^3 = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2} \neq 2 r^{3/2} = 2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4} [/tex]

I'm sorry, but how did you get that? I get to [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] and I don't understand how you simplified that to [itex] 2(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}[/itex]

toboldlygo said:
I'm sorry, but how did you get that? I get to [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] and I don't understand how you simplified that to [itex] 2(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}[/itex]

No: that is what YOU wrote, and I am saying it is wrong. You wrote ##2 r^{3/2}## and that equals ##2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}##, because ##r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}##.

Ray Vickson said:
No: that is what YOU wrote, and I am saying it is wrong. You wrote ##2 r^{3/2}## and that equals ##2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}##, because ##r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}##.

Wow. I completely misread that haha. Sorry about that. So, I probably simplified [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] incorrectly, but I think that's the correct derivative. If so, is there a way to manipulate the expression so I get 2r?

toboldlygo said:
Wow. I completely misread that haha. Sorry about that. So, I probably simplified [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] incorrectly, but I think that's the correct derivative. If so, is there a way to manipulate the expression so I get 2r?

No, but you don't need to do that.

toboldlygo said:
You got the derivative with respect to x. But you need the divergence of the given function. How is divergence defined? What product of the vector-vector function with the nabla operator?

@Ray Vickson, @ehild: I actually did the whole problem instead of just one part and got the right answer. Who'dathunk? I guess I got caught up in just the first part. This is what happens when the right answer is directly underneath the problem haha. Thanks for helping me out! :smile:

1. What is the concept of ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ) in multivariable calculus?

The concept of ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ) is known as the divergence of a vector field. It is a measure of how much the vector field is spreading out or converging at a particular point in space. In this specific case, r is the position vector and ȓ is a unit vector in the direction of r. Multiplying r^3 by ȓ creates a vector field that represents the magnitude and direction of how quickly the field is expanding or contracting at each point.

2. How is the divergence of a vector field calculated using the formula ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ)?

The formula for calculating the divergence of a vector field is ∇ ∙ F = (∂F/∂x) + (∂F/∂y) + (∂F/∂z), where F is the vector field and ∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, and ∂/∂z are partial derivative operators in the x, y, and z directions respectively. In the case of ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ), the partial derivatives of r^3 * ȓ with respect to x, y, and z are simply 3r^2 * ȓx, 3r^2 * ȓy, and 3r^2 * ȓz respectively. Therefore, the formula for the divergence becomes ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ) = 3r^2 * ȓx + 3r^2 * ȓy + 3r^2 * ȓz.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the divergence of a vector field?

The physical interpretation of the divergence of a vector field is a measure of the net flow of a quantity out of a specific region in space. If the divergence is positive, it means that there is a net outflow of the quantity from the region. If the divergence is negative, it means that there is a net inflow of the quantity into the region. A divergence of zero indicates that there is no net flow within the region.

4. How is the concept of divergence used in real-world applications?

The concept of divergence is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to analyze the behavior of vector fields and understand the flow of fluids, electric fields, and heat in different systems. For example, in fluid dynamics, the divergence of a velocity field is used to determine whether the fluid is expanding or contracting at a particular point, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes, turbines, and other systems.

5. Are there any other important properties or applications of ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ)?

Yes, there are several other important properties and applications of ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ). Some of these include the fact that the divergence of a vector field is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. It is also a fundamental concept in the theory of vector calculus and is used to derive other important theorems, such as the Divergence Theorem. Additionally, the divergence of a vector field is related to the Laplacian operator, which is used in solving differential equations in physics and engineering.