1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calc: ∇ ∙ (r^3 * ȓ )

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate: ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) (del dot (r^3 times vector r)), where r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) and vector r = (x, y, z)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, taking the partial derivative of the x component, I got 2r3/2. Doing the same thing for the y, z components I got a similar answer. This gives me a solution of ∇ • (r^3 * ȓ ) = 6r3/2. However, according to my professor, the actual answer is just 6r^3. I don't know where I'm going wrong in my calculations, and any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2
    Try the del operator in spherical coordinates.

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    I thought about doing that, but my professor always uses r = ||r|| where r is a vector (x, y, z), and I've used this same definition of r previously in the same worksheet to get the right answer. However, if I were to do that, how would I set that problem up?

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the wrong derivatives:
    [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x r^3 = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2} \neq 2 r^{3/2} = 2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4} [/tex]

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5
    I'm sorry, but how did you get that? I get to [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] and I don't understand how you simplified that to [itex] 2(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}[/itex]

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: that is what YOU wrote, and I am saying it is wrong. You wrote ##2 r^{3/2}## and that equals ##2 (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/4}##, because ##r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}##.

8. Oct 18, 2015 #7
    Wow. I completely misread that haha. Sorry about that. So, I probably simplified [itex] (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2}(4x^2+y^2+z^2) [/itex] incorrectly, but I think that's the correct derivative. If so, is there a way to manipulate the expression so I get 2r?

9. Oct 19, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, but you don't need to do that.

10. Oct 19, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got the derivative with respect to x. But you need the divergence of the given function. How is divergence defined? What product of the vector-vector function with the nabla operator?

11. Oct 19, 2015 #10
    @Ray Vickson, @ehild: I actually did the whole problem instead of just one part and got the right answer. Who'dathunk? I guess I got caught up in just the first part. This is what happens when the right answer is directly underneath the problem haha. Thanks for helping me out! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted