1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Multivariable Derivates?

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    if Cost(r)=0.01(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r2+v/[tex]\pi[/tex]r2(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r))+0.015(4[tex]\pi[/tex]r+v/[tex]\pi[/tex]r2)
    v=hpir2
    how does one show for the optimal radius/height for any volume i.e. where the cost will be the minimum for that volume?

all my attempts have ended with 0=0

help please? i'll give you cookehz ^^

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The first thing I would do is go ahead and replace "v" by [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex]:
    [itex]cost(r, h)= 0.01(2\pi r^2+[v/(\pi r^2)][/itex][itex](2\pi r)+0.015(4\pi r+v/(\pi r^2)[/itex]
    [itex]cost(r, h)= 0.01(2\pi r^2+[(\pi r^2h)/(\pi r^2)][/itex][itex](2\pi r)+0.015(4\pi r+(\pi r^2 h)/(\pi r^2)[/itex]
    [itex]cost(r, h)= 0.01(2\pi r^2+ h(2\pi r)+ 0.015(4\pi r+ h))[/itex]

Now differentiate with respect to both r and h:
    Treating h as if it were a constant,
    [tex]cost_r(r, h)= 0.01(4\pi r+ 2\pi h+ 0.015(4\pi))[/tex]
    [tex]cost_h(r, h)= 0.01(2\pi r+ 0.015)[/tex]

To find the optimum height, set those both equal to 0 and solve the two equations for r and h. (Since there is no "h" in the second equation , it is particularly easy to solve it for r. Although it looks to me like there is a sign error- that will give a negative value for r.)

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3
    i don't think this is right or if it is how did you get it so that the second part(0.15(4pir+h) is also multiplied by 0.01 as the 0.01 and 0.015 "segments" of the equation are seperated completely by the addition sign? (i'm only first year calculus) so if it's a law or something please explain :D

5. Aug 23, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think its because your original brackets were a little ambiguous - why not use the method but with what you've got?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook