1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Limits, Squeeze Principle

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Squeeze Principle) Suppose f, g, and h are real-valued functions on a neighborhood of a (perhaps not including the point a itself). Suppose f(x) ≤ g(x) ≤ h(x) for all x and limx→a f(x) = l = limx→a h(x). Prove that limx→a g(x) = l. (Hint: Given ε > 0, show that there is δ > 0 so that whenever 0 < ||x - a|| < δ, we have -ε < f(x) - lg(x) - lh(x) - l < ε.)

2. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand the definition of a limit with ε and δ. The question confuses me, frankly, and I don't have any idea where I would begin. Could anyone help me understand this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    There are two equivalent definitions of the limit, in terms of sequences and in terms of epsilon-delta. Both can be used to prove the squeeze principle.

What is your difficulty with the epsilon-delta definition?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    I guess I don't actually understand what epsilon and delta mean. Like, I'm struggling to understand how they define the limit.

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    Do you understand how the limit is defined in the 1D case?

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    Actually, I don't know that specific definition at all. My calculus teacher spent very little time doing limits. We learned the basic skill of taking a limit and L'Hopital's Rule, and then went straight into derivatives.

I know a limit is a way of looking at the continuity/discontinuity of a function, but that's about it.

7. Sep 19, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook