Multivariable state space where forcing function has derivative terms

In summary, the problem at hand involves representing a multivariable dynamic system with derivative terms in the forcing function. The solution involves using the chain rule to rewrite the derivative terms and defining new state variables to incorporate both the input and its derivative. Further manipulation and substitution may be required to obtain a state space representation for the system. Existing literature on this topic may not directly address this situation, but the principles of state space representation can still be applied.
nandlald

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have two linear differential equations describing some multivariable dynamic system, and I need to represent the system in a state space representation.

This would be normally very easy if the forcing functions on the RHS did not contain derivative terms e.g.
dy/dt + y + z = u1 + u2
dz/dt + y + z = u2 + 2*u1

where u1 and u2 are the system inputs.

The problem is that I have a derivative term in the forcing function i.e. du(1,2)/dt

Homework Equations

The equations describing the system are:

d2y/dt + dy/dt +4y + 2z = 3*du1/dt + 2*u2 ... (1)

dz/dt + 3z + 2*dy/dt + 4y = 4*u2 + u1 ... (2)

where u1 and u2 are the system inputs.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can describe the solution for a SISO system but I don't think that is relevant in the multivariable context. I've considered rearranging (2) to make u2 the independant variable and substituting into (1) but that would mean I lose an input to the system. But that still doesn't help because i'll still have two independant variables (y and z) and I cannot apply the SISO solution.

I tried many textbooks including Maciejowski, and Skogestad and Posthlewaite who are authorities on multivariable control and none of them address this situation. The usual example don't involve derivatives of the inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. I understand the frustration of not being able to find a solution in existing literature. However, I believe I can offer some insight that may help you in your state space representation.

Firstly, it is important to note that the derivative terms in the forcing function do not necessarily mean you have to lose an input to the system. In fact, these terms can be rewritten using the chain rule as:

d(du1)/dt = d(u1)/dt + d(u2)/dt

This means that you can still represent the system with both inputs, u1 and u2, while also accounting for the derivative terms in the forcing function.

Secondly, as you mentioned, the SISO solution may not be directly applicable in a multivariable context. However, you can still use the principles of state space representation to solve your problem. One approach you could take is to define new state variables that incorporate both the input and its derivative, such as:

x1 = u1
x2 = d(u1)/dt

Then, using these new state variables, you can rewrite your equations as:

dx1/dt = x2
dx2/dt = 3*x2 + 2*u2 - 4*u1 + 4*du1/dt

This approach may require some additional manipulation and substitution, but it should ultimately lead to a state space representation for your system.

I hope this helps you in finding a solution for your problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck!

1. What is a multivariable state space?

A multivariable state space is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a physical system that has multiple inputs and outputs. It is represented by a set of differential equations, where the state variables represent the internal state of the system and the inputs and outputs represent external influences and responses, respectively.

2. What are forcing functions in a multivariable state space?

Forcing functions are external inputs that affect the behavior of a system in a multivariable state space. They can be in the form of time-varying signals, such as forces, pressures, or temperatures, that act on the system and cause it to change its state over time.

3. What is the significance of derivative terms in a forcing function?

Derivative terms in a forcing function represent the rate of change of the input signal. They can be used to model dynamic inputs, such as acceleration or velocity, that have a direct effect on the state of the system. In a multivariable state space, derivative terms can also be used to capture the interactions between different inputs and outputs.

4. How do derivative terms affect the stability of a multivariable state space?

The presence of derivative terms in a forcing function can make a system more complex and difficult to analyze, as it introduces additional dynamics and interactions. If not properly accounted for, these terms can lead to instability or unwanted oscillations in the system. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the impact of derivative terms on the overall stability of a multivariable state space.

5. What methods are available for analyzing multivariable state spaces with derivative terms?

There are several methods available for analyzing multivariable state spaces with derivative terms, such as Laplace transforms, eigenvalue analysis, and state feedback control. These methods can help determine the stability, controllability, and observability of a system, and provide insights into the behavior of the system under different forcing functions.