Multivariate Calculus Chain Rule.

In summary, we are given a problem where the voltage and resistance in an electrical circuit are changing over time, and we are asked to find the rate of change of current at a specific instant. Using Ohm's law and the multiplication rule, we can solve for dI/dt and substitute in the given values to find the answer, which is -3.1 * 10^(-5)A/s.
jaguar7

Homework Statement

Apply the two cases of th change rule. For example: The voltage V in an electrical circuit is slowly decreasing as a battery wears out and the resistance R is slowly increasing as the resistor heats up Use Ohm's law V=IR to find how the current is changing (with respect to time) at the instant that R = 400 ohms, I = 0.08A, dV/dt = -0.01V/s, and dR/dt = .03 ohms/s. (Answ: -3.1 * 10^(-5)A/s)

Homework Equations

I guess we have three variables, V, I, and R. Do we use the multiplication rule and get (dV/dt = R dI/dt + I dR/dt) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jaguar7 said:

Homework Statement

Apply the two cases of th change rule. For example: The voltage V in an electrical circuit is slowly decreasing as a battery wears out and the resistance R is slowly increasing as the resistor heats up Use Ohm's law V=IR to find how the current is changing (with respect to time) at the instant that R = 400 ohms, I = 0.08A, dV/dt = -0.01V/s, and dR/dt = .03 ohms/s. (Answ: -3.1 * 10^(-5)A/s)

Homework Equations

I guess we have three variables, V, I, and R. Do we use the multiplication rule and get (dV/dt = R dI/dt + I dR/dt) ?
Sure. Solve this equation for dI/dt, and evaluate it for the given values of I, R, dV/dt, and dR/dt.

What is the Multivariate Calculus Chain Rule?

The Multivariate Calculus Chain Rule is a mathematical theorem used in multivariate calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function in the composite.

How is the Chain Rule different in Multivariate Calculus compared to Single Variable Calculus?

In Single Variable Calculus, the Chain Rule only involves one independent variable. In Multivariate Calculus, there are multiple independent variables, so the Chain Rule becomes more complex and involves partial derivatives.

What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is composed of two or more functions, where the output of one function is used as the input of another function.

Why is the Chain Rule important in Multivariate Calculus?

The Chain Rule is important in Multivariate Calculus because it allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is essential in many real-world applications. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in a multivariate function.

How do you apply the Chain Rule in Multivariate Calculus?

To apply the Chain Rule in Multivariate Calculus, you need to first identify the composite function and then differentiate each individual function with respect to its respective variable. Finally, multiply the derivatives together to get the final result.