Are Sesame Street and The Muppets still as hilarious as they used to be?

• Thread starter case_wp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the popularity and enjoyment of the Muppet Show and Sesame Street. The Muppet Show is praised for its humor and family-friendly entertainment, while Sesame Street is seen as a valuable educational tool. The conversation also touches on the death of Jim Henson and the impact it had on the Muppet franchise. Despite a confusing and potentially spammy original post, the conversation shifts to sharing clips and memories of the beloved shows.
case_wp
Muppets are hilarious!

[link deleted by russ] :rofl:

Lol it is so funny to see this again! :tongue:

Grtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That clip is wonderful! :biggrin: Question: why did they stop producing the muppet show??

Sesame street is still running.. is it that entertainment needs to be fast and flashy? I guess people like to see shows that have shocking value, like Fear Factor or Big Brother (heard of the woman who's going give birth in the show?) :frown:

That was fun to watch. I think the muppets, lost there inspiration to perform, when there friend Jim Henson died 1990. I know they tried to go on without him for a while, such cute little critters, It just wasen't the same.

I loved the muppet show, it was great. :approve: I can still sing the opening song.

Sesame Street & The Muppet Show

I used to watch The Muppet Show, and when my kids were little, I'd watch some of Sesame Street with them.

We read a variety of Sesame Street books to the children as part of the early learning experience, and I used to try to sound like each character. I could do Bert and Ernie, Kermit, Fozzy Bear, and even Grover, but Grover would seriously hurt my throat if I did too much.

I found these on Wikipedia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_Street
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muppet_Show

Grover and Kermit were my favorite characters on Sesame Street.

My favorite characters on the Muppet Show were Animal and Zoot.

Who was your favorite character on either show?

I was a fan of Miss Piggy and Gonzo. On Sesame Street, I think it was Mr. Snuffleupagus (or however that's spelled). The Muppet Show was something our whole family watched together. My parents laughed as hard as my sister and I. It was a good incentive to get us kids ready for bed. We had to take our baths before The Muppet Show started or we weren't allowed to watch, so we ALWAYS got our bath on time, and then we watched in our PJs and off to bed right after (that was more of a struggle).

Am I on drugs here? This thread seems like spam to me (I mean the first post, not the usual spam presented by regular GD members). The "clip" was ... well it really did not seem like a clip to me. It was what, 5 seconds long? There were no muppets in the clip. :confused:

S'what I got too. 2 seconds of blam

I'm currently watching Sesame Street videos with my kids. Things like "Best of Ernie and Bert." When I was a kid I liked Ernie, but NOW, I'm picking up on Frank Oz's sly, subtle humor in the character of Bert.

Other story: 16 years ago I climbed Mt. McKinley. After being on the mountain for three weeks, the news of the morning when we came off the mountain was Jim Henson's death from pneumonia. I don't remember being as sad as I was that day before or since.

Despite the lousy OP , here are some real video clips from the Muppet Show.
[MEDIA=youtube]1zapTDYj4sY[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]

And here are some from Sesame Street.
[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]fK30qJLeKPM[/MEDIA][/URL]

Link deleted, but there is always room for a good Muppets thread...

The Number 8 - Ernie and Lefty (Classic Sesame Street)
[MEDIA=youtube]3iNHGYJuGI4[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]

I remember Ernie and Lefty, and the usefulness of numbers. :rofl:

russ_watters said:
Link deleted, but there is always room for a good Muppets thread...
What was the OP?:confused:

Chi Meson said:
What was the OP?:confused:
It was originally a muppet clip back in 2005 when it was first posted, but the link changed.

Heh - I didn't even notice the date.

Astronuc said:
The Number 8 - Ernie and Lefty (Classic Sesame Street)
[MEDIA=youtube]3iNHGYJuGI4[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]

I remember Ernie and Lefty, and the usefulness of numbers. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

LOL I remember that one now, it is true clssic sesame street.:rofl: I have a five year old grandson and I am going to buy all the Sesame Street and Muppets DVD's I can find. He missed out on the current Sesame street because he was always in preschool when it plays here.

I don't know whether Sesame Street is as good as it used to be, but I think that if it is it would be a good part of a kindergarten curriculum.
Hmm it may be in some places but I doubt if the public schools would go for it..

The state of AZ has just started full day kindergarten. Personally I think that is a bit too much to expect from five year olds. Plus they still need a hands on approach at that age, and I don't see that in my grandson's classwork.

We did manage to take that lemon OP and turn it into lemonaid.:smile:

1. Why are Muppets considered hilarious?

The Muppets are considered hilarious because they are able to combine humor, wit, and satire in a way that appeals to both children and adults. Their exaggerated personalities and silly antics add to their charm and make them incredibly entertaining to watch.

2. Who created the Muppets?

The Muppets were created by Jim Henson in the 1950s. Henson was a talented puppeteer and artist who brought the Muppets to life through his creative vision and innovative techniques.

3. What makes the Muppets different from other puppets?

The Muppets are different from other puppets because they are made with a combination of foam, fabric, and other materials that allow for more flexibility and expression. They also have unique personalities and distinct voices, which adds to their humor and appeal.

4. Are the Muppets appropriate for all ages?

While the Muppets are primarily known as a children's entertainment, they also have a large following among adults. Their humor often includes clever references and jokes that only adults would understand, making them suitable for all ages.

5. What is the most iconic Muppet character?

This is a difficult question to answer as it often depends on personal preference. However, many would argue that Kermit the Frog is the most iconic Muppet character due to his role as the leader of the Muppets and his famous song "Rainbow Connection".