Mutual Inductance of two coils

Homework Statement

The mutual inductance between two coils is 0.0100 H. The current in the first coil changes uniformly from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. If the second coil has a resistance of 0.600 Ω, what is the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil?

Please show steps

Homework Equations

I=V/R
V=M(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but I still couldn't figure out the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil

What I did first is I solved for V_2 using M(di_1/dt)
di_1=(5-2.7)=2.3 A
dt =0.16 s
M=.01 H
and I got V_2 to be around .14

then once I got V_2 I divided it by .6 and got I to be around .23A but my friend keeps on getting the answer to be .344 A

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

The mutual inductance between two coils is 0.0100 H. The current in the first coil changes uniformly from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. If the second coil has a resistance of 0.600 Ω, what is the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil?

Please show steps

Homework Equations

I=V/R
V=M(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but I still couldn't figure out the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil

Welcome to the PF. Please show us what you have tried so far, and we can offer some hints after seeing some of your work.

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
How about we change V=M(dI/dt) to this

[tex]V = M( \frac{Change \ in \ Current}{Change \ in \ time})[/tex]

See I tried that and still got the answer I'm getting

berkeman
Mentor

I will say this one more time. You need to show us your work before we can offer tutorial help. That's part of the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page).

EDIT -- Oh, I see you went back and edited your original post (OP) to show some work. Pretty stealthy. It's usually better to just post the new work as a new post. Let me go back and take a look...

rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Well your method looks correct to me.