1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance of two coils

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mutual inductance between two coils is 0.0100 H. The current in the first coil changes uniformly from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. If the second coil has a resistance of 0.600 Ω, what is the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil?

Please show steps

2. Relevant equations
    I=V/R
    V=M(di/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried everything but I still couldn't figure out the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil

What I did first is I solved for V_2 using M(di_1/dt)
    di_1=(5-2.7)=2.3 A
    dt =0.16 s
    M=.01 H
    and I got V_2 to be around .14

then once I got V_2 I divided it by .6 and got I to be around .23A but my friend keeps on getting the answer to be .344 A

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Please show us what you have tried so far, and we can offer some hints after seeing some of your work.

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

How about we change V=M(dI/dt) to this

[tex]V = M( \frac{Change \ in \ Current}{Change \ in \ time})[/tex]

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4
    See I tried that and still got the answer I'm getting

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I will say this one more time. You need to show us your work before we can offer tutorial help. That's part of the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page).

EDIT -- Oh, I see you went back and edited your original post (OP) to show some work. Pretty stealthy. It's usually better to just post the new work as a new post. Let me go back and take a look...

7. Jul 24, 2009 #6
    I already did show work!

8. Jul 24, 2009 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well your method looks correct to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook