Mutual Inductance of two coils

In summary: I don't see how you could get .344 A from the problem as stated. Maybe your friend was using a different value for M?In summary, the mutual inductance between two coils is given as 0.0100 H, while the current in the first coil changes from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. Using the equation V=M(di/dt), we can solve for V_2 by substituting the values of the change in current (2.3 A) and the change in time (0.160 s), along with the given value for M. This results in V_2 being approximately 0.14 V. Dividing V_2 by
cashcabwatche

Homework Statement

The mutual inductance between two coils is 0.0100 H. The current in the first coil changes uniformly from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. If the second coil has a resistance of 0.600 Ω, what is the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil?

Please show steps

Homework Equations

I=V/R
V=M(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but I still couldn't figure out the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil

What I did first is I solved for V_2 using M(di_1/dt)
di_1=(5-2.7)=2.3 A
dt =0.16 s
M=.01 H
and I got V_2 to be around .14

then once I got V_2 I divided it by .6 and got I to be around .23A but my friend keeps on getting the answer to be .344 A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cashcabwatche said:

Homework Statement

The mutual inductance between two coils is 0.0100 H. The current in the first coil changes uniformly from 2.7 A to 5.0 A in 0.160 s. If the second coil has a resistance of 0.600 Ω, what is the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil?

Please show steps

Homework Equations

I=V/R
V=M(di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything but I still couldn't figure out the magnitude of the induced current in the second coil

Welcome to the PF. Please show us what you have tried so far, and we can offer some hints after seeing some of your work.

How about we change V=M(dI/dt) to this

[tex]V = M( \frac{Change \ in \ Current}{Change \ in \ time})[/tex]

See I tried that and still got the answer I'm getting

cashcabwatche said:

I will say this one more time. You need to show us your work before we can offer tutorial help. That's part of the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page).

EDIT -- Oh, I see you went back and edited your original post (OP) to show some work. Pretty stealthy. It's usually better to just post the new work as a new post. Let me go back and take a look...

I already did show work!

cashcabwatche said:

Well your method looks correct to me.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which two coils placed in close proximity to each other can induce an electromotive force (EMF) in each other. This is caused by the changing magnetic field produced by one coil, which affects the other coil and creates an induced current.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2), where k is the coupling coefficient between the two coils and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the individual coils. The unit of mutual inductance is henry (H).

3. What factors affect the mutual inductance between two coils?

The mutual inductance between two coils is affected by several factors, including the distance between the coils, the size and shape of the coils, and the number of turns in each coil. The material of the coils and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials can also influence mutual inductance.

4. How does mutual inductance impact circuit behavior?

Mutual inductance affects circuit behavior by introducing mutual inductance between two or more circuits, causing them to interact with each other. This can result in undesirable effects such as crosstalk or interference, which can be minimized by proper circuit design and shielding.

5. Can mutual inductance be used in practical applications?

Yes, mutual inductance has numerous practical applications in various fields such as power transmission, wireless charging, and signal transmission in communication systems. It is also utilized in devices such as transformers, inductors, and motors to control and manipulate the flow of current.