Calculating Mutual Inductance of Two Rectangular Loops

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem but has some difficulty. He has tried different methods and is now looking for help. He is a little lost and needs help to solve the problem.
kseniya
I am a student of the electrical engineering in the university of Munich. I tried to solve a homework but I have some difficulties.
I have tried to use different methods. unfortunately, unsuccessfully.
I will be very glad if you could help me. in fact I wanted to calculate the mutual inductance of two rectangular loops ( very thin wire) . both loops are identical and lie in the same plane. (Length c; wide b, a-b is the distance between them …see picture please) only in one of both loops flows strom I.
I have tried to calculate directly with the Neumann's formula, however, I get a very difficult integral, impossibly to solve:-( I have also tried to calculate the B field only in the center of the second rectangle (I’m not sure if that’s right). however, ordinarily the B field of (the first rectangle) must be calculated everywhere and then its flux in the second rectangle)
I have tried over again to accept the first rectangle as two very long thin wires and then to calculate the B field of both wires and then their flux in the secod rectangle, however, I do not know if the approach is right. as said I am a little bit lost and need your help.:cry: I will be glad if I will get a feedback from you .
I apologise for my bad english:blushing:http://www.imagup.info/images/03/1181839013_induc.jpg .[/URL]
I wish you a nice day!

Kseniya

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
try right subforum.

and write down more of what you have done to solve this, maybe you started out right and then did something wrong.

thank you for your tip malawi_glenn, i will try another sub-forum.

(I'll move this to the Intro Physics forum.)

it will be so nice from you if you can move it to the intro Physics forum, I'm new hier. may be it's better.
thank you Doc Al

Now if you provide us with what you have done so far, maybe we can help you.

i have the same problem with ksenya...i tried to solve it but i am not sure...
please help me..

ti have tried o calculate the B field of both wires and then their flux in the second rectangle, however, I do not know if the approach is right...i am not sure that the uppon and the under wires have a flux in the second rectangle...i think that only the flux of the right and the left one must be calculated...please help me

Related to Calculating Mutual Inductance of Two Rectangular Loops

1. How is mutual inductance calculated for two rectangular loops?

Mutual inductance between two rectangular loops can be calculated using the formula M = μ₀N₁N₂A/l, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N₁ and N₂ are the number of turns in each loop, A is the area of overlap between the two loops, and l is the distance between the two loops.

2. Can mutual inductance be negative?

Yes, mutual inductance can be negative if the two loops have opposite orientations, meaning the current in one loop flows in the opposite direction of the current in the other loop. This results in a negative value for mutual inductance.

3. What are the units of mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance has units of henries (H), which is the same as inductance for a single coil. This unit is named after Joseph Henry, an American scientist who made important contributions to the study of electromagnetism.

4. How does the distance between two loops affect mutual inductance?

The distance between two loops has an inverse relationship with mutual inductance. As the distance increases, the mutual inductance decreases. This is because the magnetic field produced by one loop has less influence on the other loop when they are farther apart.

5. Can mutual inductance be calculated for non-rectangular loops?

Yes, mutual inductance can be calculated for any shape of loops as long as the area of overlap and the distance between the loops are known. However, the formula for mutual inductance may vary depending on the shape of the loops. For non-rectangular loops, it is best to consult a textbook or online resource for the specific formula.