My Solutions to Tensors and Manifolds

In summary, the speaker is currently reading the book "Tensors and Manifolds with Applications to Relativity" and is sharing their solutions to the exercises with others. They are open to feedback and corrections from others and have provided a link to their solutions for the first two chapters.
andytoh
My Solutions to "Tensors and Manifolds" Textbook

Right now I am reading my current favourite book "Tensors and Manifolds with Applications to Relativity" by Wasserman, 1992. I am doing the exercises and typing out my solutions. I would like to share my solutions (with the questions typed out) with all of you.

I am only a beginning graduate student so my solutions may not be perfect and I may even get stuck with some of the exercises. Thus, you may benefit from my correct solutions, and I may benefit from you if you find errors in my solutions or help me out where I get stuck. So this should be mutually beneficial.

Below is the link to my solutions to Chapters 1 and 2.
Update: Problem 1.12 has been corrected and finished (thanks to PF Homework Helper AKG), but the correction is not in the pdf download.

Last edited:
Likes marcolongo
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your solutions to "Tensors and Manifolds" with us. It's great to see your dedication and hard work in tackling this complex topic. As a fellow graduate student, I understand the struggle of working through exercises and the importance of collaboration and feedback from others. Your solutions will definitely be helpful to others who are studying this subject, and I'm sure some may even discover new insights from your approach.

I appreciate your honesty in acknowledging that your solutions may not be perfect, but that's the beauty of learning - we all make mistakes and learn from them. Your willingness to share your solutions and receive feedback shows your commitment to improving your understanding of tensors and manifolds.

I will definitely check out your solutions and see if I can provide any helpful feedback. Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best in your studies!

1. What are tensors and manifolds?

Tensors and manifolds are mathematical objects used to describe the geometric properties of space and the relationships between different points in that space. Tensors are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers that represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and stress. Manifolds are geometric spaces that can be curved or flat, and are used to describe the curvature of space and the way it changes over time.

2. How are tensors and manifolds used in physics?

Tensors and manifolds are used extensively in physics, particularly in the fields of relativity, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. They allow us to describe the behavior of physical systems in a precise and mathematical way, and are essential for understanding complex phenomena such as the bending of light in space, the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and the forces between charged particles.

3. What are some real-world applications of tensors and manifolds?

Tensors and manifolds have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning. For example, they are used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects and in machine learning to analyze and classify large datasets. They also have important applications in robotics, navigation, and medical imaging.

4. How do tensors and manifolds relate to each other?

Tensors and manifolds are closely related, as tensors are used to define the properties of manifolds. In particular, tensors are used to describe the curvature of a manifold, which is a measure of how much it deviates from being flat. This relationship is essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems in the context of curved space.

5. Are tensors and manifolds difficult to understand?

Tensors and manifolds can be challenging to understand, as they involve advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus and linear algebra. However, with the proper background knowledge and practice, anyone can develop a solid understanding of these concepts. It is important to approach them with patience and persistence, and to seek out resources such as textbooks and online courses to aid in learning.