Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Word Game is an interactive game that utilizes language-related clues and linguistic questions to challenge players' knowledge and understanding of words and language. The game is designed to improve vocabulary and language skills through fun and engaging gameplay. In addition to the gameplay, players can also participate in linguistic Q&A sessions to further enhance their understanding of language and its nuances. With its unique blend of entertainment and education, Word Game is a great way to sharpen one's linguistic abilities.
arildno said:
Evidently, it is didgeridoo; that's a one syllable word.
Well, only if one refers to it as a didge as some Aussies like to do.

I am an engineer, what would I know about women's clothing? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have any of you trouble with the update function of PF right now?

The word is brahh, by the way (one h missing)

Astronuc said:
I am an engineer, what would I know about women's clothing? :biggrin:
As much as any highlander, I hope! (Runs screaming from band of enraged Scots.)

arildno said:
Have any of you trouble with the update function of PF right now?
The word is brahh, by the way (one h missing)
Sorry, and I can't think of any more good clues that wouldn't give it away outright. It is a word that when pronounced aloud evokes the sound it describes.

So I was close was I? How about peep, then. If you say it you do it.

selfAdjoint said:
So I was close was I? How about peep, then. If you say it you do it.
Darn it, sA, you were so close that playing the hot or cold game, you were about to burst into flames. It is a wonderful lyrical word, and the bagpipe reference you gave made me think that you nailed it, but were being coy.

I don't want to give it away, but the word is EXACTLY (no transpositions, just one letter substitution) one letter away from an article of women's clothing that might infuriate a highlander should you use it to refer to his dress.

Last edited:
skirl? ...

You have figured it out, honestrosewater! Skirl is a very nice word that embodies (to me) the characterisics of the sound that it describes. "The skirl of the pipes" evokes the plaintive and "far away" sound that makes the bagpipes so attractive. You are on deck, buddy!

turbo-1 said:
As much as any highlander, I hope! (Runs screaming from band of enraged Scots.)
I am descended from the Highlanders, and I still don't know about women's clothing. Kilts and sporrans I understand, however, and I never 'go regimental' in a kilt. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1stBatBW.jpg Ooops! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I am descended from the Highlanders, and I still don't know about women's clothing. Kilts and sporrans I understand, however, and I never 'go regimental' in a kilt. :biggrin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1stBatBW.jpg Ooops! :rofl:
I have never "gone regimental" either, but trying to cover Peter Green, Elmore James, Clapton, et al can make you feel like you've got your butt on the line. You don't want to drop a clam in front of a room full of patrons...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, a little literature... might be too easy...

These days are green and cold.

Thanks to the coiner (or the author of the earliest attested use) of the phrase, it's also a foregone conclusion that those who won't budge an inch and those who try to come full circle in one fell swoop make strange bedfellows, come what may.

salad days - Cleo

turbo-1 said:
salad days - Cleo
Yeppers. Green in judgment, cold in blood. Heh, and she was talking about Julius Caesar... Caesar salad... salad days. Hah. Okay, I'm easily amused. :tongue2: Batter up!

OK, this is the name of a weapon that is similar to the name of a tobacco receptacle.

turbo-1 said:
OK, this is the name of a weapon that is similar to the name of a tobacco receptacle.

An ash trebuchet? Used to hurl butts at the enemy.

bazooka...like hookah?

Bayonet (cigarette)?

Think 17th century weapon, 19th century waste receptacle.

Rhymes with a common private-aircraft accessory.

Usagee of the weapon was relegated primarily to that of a signaling device in the 18th C.

turbo-1 said:
Usagee of the weapon was relegated primarily to that of a signaling device in the 18th C.

Why don't you just tell us? We should have a rule that if we don't get it after three hints, we declare ourselves stupid and the poser tells the answer.

selfAdjoint said:
Why don't you just tell us? We should have a rule that if we don't get it after three hints, we declare ourselves stupid and the poser tells the answer.
OK, but you have to come up with the next word.

The word is spontoon. It's a short lance, and its use persisted into the American Revolutionary War, although it certainly wasn't used primarily as a weapon at that late date. (Give me a Brown Bess or a Charleville any day!) I'll try to pick better words in the future.

Okay spontoon - spittoon. Hmmm.

There was an autobiography of an ex-num called "I Leap over the Wall". The word I am thinking of could replace two of the words in that title.

selfAdjoint said:
Okay spontoon - spittoon. Hmmm.
There was an autobiography of an ex-num called "I Leap over the Wall". The word I am thinking of could replace two of the words in that title.
a bound = a wall / to bound = to leap?

Good answer but bound was not the word I was thinking of. The word is a synonym of one of your definitions, though.

A wild shot...
closure = wall
closed=over (finished)
?

vault = leap over

turbo-1 said:
vault = leap over

Kee-rekt! A vault is also a kind of wall (one that curves over). Give that man a see-gar and make him give us another word.

An amount necessary to make a group or thing whole.

The word has a polite-sounding homonym.

You may have encountered the adjective form of the noun in plane geometry class.

complement?
Damn...i should've put it up at the first clue, but I felt silly about my last attempt!

Ta-Dah! You're at bat, shruth! What's your word?