1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name the molecule

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to name the particular molecule that i am looking at and fill in the blanks with that name.

2. Relevant equations
    Choose from:
    2-methoxybutane, 3-butene, 1-butene, butanal, 2-chlorobutane, ethylmethyl ether, butylmethyl ether, or 2-butanone

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing that I did was identify the central molecule as 2-butanol, but i am no quite sure what the arrows indicate. Whether its the removal of the compound next to the arrow or the addition of it; if someone could identify the type of diagram and nudge me in the right direction that would be fantastic!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is an orgo way of stating "something reacting with things written above arrow yielding".

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3
    Okay i get it thank you so much! so if i follow a) could be 1-betene, b) 2-chlorobutane, c) 2-butanone, d) 2-methoxybutane? please note that its not suppose to be Cu its suppose to be Cl! im sorrry....

5. Jul 8, 2014 #4
    Or do i have b) and c) backwards in my previous answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted