Name Molecule: 2-Butanol Naming and Diagrams for Homework Solution

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Lizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the person is trying to identify the central molecule in a diagram and fill in the blanks with its name. They are unsure of what the arrows indicate and are seeking clarification. They list some possible options for the blanks and clarify that the "Cu" in the diagram should actually be "Cl."
Lizzy

Homework Statement

I have to name the particular molecule that i am looking at and fill in the blanks with that name.

Homework Equations

Choose from:
2-methoxybutane, 3-butene, 1-butene, butanal, 2-chlorobutane, ethylmethyl ether, butylmethyl ether, or 2-butanone

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that I did was identify the central molecule as 2-butanol, but i am no quite sure what the arrows indicate. Whether its the removal of the compound next to the arrow or the addition of it; if someone could identify the type of diagram and nudge me in the right direction that would be fantastic!

Attachments

• 1233.jpg
    1233.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is an orgo way of stating "something reacting with things written above arrow yielding".

Okay i get it thank you so much! so if i follow a) could be 1-betene, b) 2-chlorobutane, c) 2-butanone, d) 2-methoxybutane? please note that its not suppose to be Cu its suppose to be Cl! I am sorrry...

Or do i have b) and c) backwards in my previous answer?

The arrows in this diagram indicate the removal of a hydrogen atom (H) from the molecule. This type of diagram is called a skeletal structure and is commonly used in organic chemistry to represent the arrangement of atoms in a molecule. In this case, the arrows indicate that the molecule 2-butanol is being deprotonated, resulting in the formation of a new molecule. I hope this helps in your homework solution!

Related to Name Molecule: 2-Butanol Naming and Diagrams for Homework Solution

What is 2-Butanol?

2-Butanol, also known as sec-butyl alcohol, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C4H10O. It is a colorless, flammable liquid with a characteristic odor and is commonly used as a solvent and in the production of other chemicals.

What is the structure of 2-Butanol?

The structure of 2-Butanol consists of a central carbon atom bonded to two other carbon atoms, one oxygen atom, and three hydrogen atoms. The two carbon atoms are bonded to each other and to the central carbon atom, forming a "Y" shape. This structure is also known as a secondary alcohol.

What are the physical properties of 2-Butanol?

2-Butanol has a boiling point of 98.5°C and a melting point of -114°C. It is soluble in water and has a density of 0.81 g/cm3. It also has a low vapor pressure, meaning it evaporates relatively slowly at room temperature.

What are the common uses of 2-Butanol?

2-Butanol is commonly used as a solvent in the production of lacquers, varnishes, and other coatings. It is also used as a raw material in the production of esters, which are used in the production of fragrances and flavors. Additionally, it is used as a fuel additive and as a solvent in the pharmaceutical industry.

Is 2-Butanol toxic?

2-Butanol is considered to be a relatively low-toxicity chemical. It can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system if exposed in large amounts. However, it is not considered to be a major health hazard and is safe to use in controlled environments with proper safety precautions.