1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming Carboxylic Acids

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    I haven't seen any carboxylic acids with double bonds in their parent chains... is this just coincidence or is there a reason that im not seeing any? I know you can have benzanoic acid ... and even though thats not technically double bonds, its more then one (and its cylic, so its different)... so yeah... just wanted to know why I only saw parent alkane chains in carboxylic acids. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Of course, you can have double bonds in the parent chain. 2-Propenoic acid (ethylenecarboxylic acid or acrylic acid) is one of the simplest of these. http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/functional Monomer/ACRYLIC ACID.htm

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  4. Jan 9, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot =)

5. Jan 10, 2006 #4
    I have another question. My textbook says I can think of "amides" as the combination of a carboxylic acid and ammonia or an amine.

So letsay I react my carboxylic acid with ammonia...
    CH3COOH + NH3 ---> CH3COONH4

Is this an amide? The name for this compound says it is ammonium ethanoate (http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/acids/acidity.html) so this means it is an ester right? Why?

another example is with an amine...
    CH3COOH + CH3NH2 ---> CH3COOHCH3NH3

Again, this is an ester (according to the site)... so what am I missing here? What kind of reaction with ammonia or amines do I need to create an amide from a carboxylic acid? TiA

Preet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?