Nano Fusion? Micro Fusion? Fusion Learning Source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons for building large and expensive fusion reactors and the limitations on making them smaller. The experts explain that reducing the size of the reactor requires increasing the number density, temperature, and magnetic field, which can be difficult and expensive. However, not all fusion experiments are large and expensive, and valuable information can also be gathered from smaller plasma machines. The conversation also touches on finding reliable information about fusion and the potential impact of building a fusion reactor on the understanding of fusion power.
Drakkith said:
Err, what? We've had small-scale fusion experiments running for over 50 years. It's only been recently that we've started to scale up into really big designs.
Hey Drakkith!

If you think the bulk of funding is going to small scale fusion experiments then I have a reactor I would like to sell you ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe the intent was small *relevant* to ISIS or NIF. Everything prior, tokamaks, magnetic mirrors, etc, fell much further away from the Lawson criterion.