Math Major Internships: What Does the Job Entail?

In summary, there are a lot of national labs that are interested in hiring math majors as interns, but it may be difficult to find specific information about the type of work they do. However, one common task for math majors at national labs is modeling things using computers. To find out more about the specific focus of each lab, it is recommended to visit their websites. Additionally, the DOE SULI program is a good way to secure an internship at a national lab. This program offers additional support and resources for interns and allows them to rank their preferred labs and areas of work.
modnarandom
A lot of places like national labs list that they're interested in hiring math majors as interns, but I'm having some trouble finding what sort of things they would do. I can think of really vague ideas like modelling things using computers, but otherwise I'm pretty confused. Does anyone know what kind of work this could entail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure, but many of the physicists I know at national labs 'model things using computers' full time.

modnarandom said:
A lot of places like national labs list that they're interested in hiring math majors as interns, but I'm having some trouble finding what sort of things they would do. I can think of really vague ideas like modelling things using computers, but otherwise I'm pretty confused. Does anyone know what kind of work this could entail?

If they are hiring, don't they list the exact nature of the job?

Each of the National Labs has different things that they do. Some have huge mathematics/computing emphasis, etc. You need to go to each of their websites and find out what they focus in. There isn't a generic, one-answer-fits-all description on what these labs do.

Zz.

modnarandom said:

I work at a national lab. We hire lots of students. Often the work involves modeling things using computers. In fact that is pretty much the definition of what many mathematicians do in practice. We have entire groups here dedicated to computational methods which are staffed by mathematicians.

If you want an internship at a national lab you should go through the DOE SULI program. Very few internships are available directly through research groups. We like to get our interns in our group through SULI because the interns get additional support (like scientific writing mentoring, a poster session, etc) so they have a better experience. Here's the website. Check it out.

http://science.energy.gov/wdts/suli/

EDIT: SULI is a clearinghouse for national lab internships. If you apply for one, you select ranked choices of National Labs you're interested in, and areas of work you're interested in. It's a good system.

Likes Delong

I can provide some insights into what math major internships may entail. Math majors are highly sought after in various industries, including national labs, due to their strong analytical and problem-solving skills. In an internship, you may be involved in projects that require mathematical analysis and modeling, such as data analysis, statistical analysis, and computer simulations.

One possible task for a math major intern could be to assist in developing and testing mathematical models for complex systems, such as weather patterns or economic trends. This may involve using computer programs to run simulations and analyze data, as well as collaborating with other scientists to interpret and apply the results.

Another potential role for a math major intern could be to support research and development projects by providing mathematical expertise. This could include designing experiments, developing algorithms, and analyzing data to help solve real-world problems. You may also have the opportunity to work on interdisciplinary teams with scientists from different backgrounds, which can provide valuable experience in communicating and collaborating with others.

In addition, math majors may also be involved in creating and improving mathematical models and algorithms for various applications, such as in finance, engineering, and technology. This could involve coding and programming skills, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

It's important to keep in mind that the specific tasks and responsibilities of a math major intern may vary depending on the organization and project they are working on. However, overall, internships for math majors offer a great opportunity to apply your skills and gain practical experience in a real-world setting. I would recommend reaching out to potential internship opportunities and asking for more information on the specific tasks and projects you may be involved in to gain a better understanding of what the job may entail.

1. What types of internships are available for math majors?

Math majors can pursue internships in a variety of industries such as finance, technology, data analysis, and research. Some common internship roles for math majors include data analyst, actuarial intern, financial analyst, and research assistant.

2. What skills are required for a math major internship?

Math majors should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in mathematical concepts and computer programming languages. Additionally, internships may require skills in data analysis, financial modeling, and critical thinking.

3. What does a typical day look like for a math major intern?

The day-to-day tasks of a math major intern can vary greatly depending on the specific internship role and industry. However, some common tasks may include data analysis and interpretation, creating mathematical models, and collaborating with team members on projects.

4. What are the benefits of completing a math major internship?

Internships provide valuable hands-on experience and allow math majors to apply their knowledge in a real-world setting. They also provide opportunities to network with professionals in the field and gain insight into potential career paths.

5. How can I find and apply for math major internships?

There are a few ways to find and apply for math major internships. Some options include utilizing career services at your university, searching online job boards, networking with professionals in your field, and attending career fairs. It's important to tailor your resume and cover letter to each internship and highlight your relevant skills and experience.