Need an opinion on this solution involving mathematical induction

In summary, this conversation discusses the use of mathematical induction to prove the divisibility of 3^n + 7^n - 2 by 8 for all positive integers n. The setup and base step are shown, but there is a question about the inductive step and proving that 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8. Different approaches are suggested, including using induction and arguing that 7^k + 1 is always even, leading to the conclusion that 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8.
nistaria
Hey guys, this is a problem given to us by our professor in one of the worksheets. I would like an opinion to see if this proof is valid

Homework Statement

Use mathematical induction to prove that 3[tex]^{n}[/tex]+7[tex]^{n}[/tex]-2 is divisible by 8 for [tex]\forall[/tex]n[tex]\in[/tex][tex]Z[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Base step:
n=0
30+70-2=1+1-2=0
0 is divisible by 8 therefore it's true for n=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Inductive step
Assume that 3k+7k-2 is divisible by 8 is true.
We need to show that 3k+1+7k+1-2 is divisible by 8 as well

3k+1+7k+1-2 = 3*3k+7*7k-2
= 3(3k+7k-2)+4*7k+4

By inductive hypothesis we already know that 3k+7k-2 is divisible by 8 .
Now this is my problem, I'm also trying to show that 4*7k+4 is divisible by 8 as well. This is my attempt at trying to prove it

4*7k+4=4*(7k+1)

7k+1 will always be an even number for k[tex]\ge[/tex]0. Multiplied by 4 this number will always be divisible by 8.
My question is do I still have to prove that 4*(7k+1) is divisible by 8 or is stating that is enough proof?

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
The setup looks good, but if I were grading this I'd look for more detail on why [tex] 4 \left(7^k+1\right) [/tex] is divisible by 8.

I admit my choice is probably specific to my teaching style, but quite often I see students making a ``it is obvious that it is true'' claim when

a) it isn't true

or

b) it is true but they aren't sure why

I can tell you know why it's true - it shouldn't be that hard to write out.

(My choice for more work may, and probably will, be commented on as a little harsh by others: I admit it's a personal choice).

Thanks for your input statdad, anything is appreciated! Knowing my teacher, she would look into specifics as well and that's why I had to ask.

I was thinking of proving that statement with another case by induction
( I gave up trying to use latex code, it's really messing up on me and not outputting the correct notations)

We are to prove that 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8 for k is a positive integer

Base step
k=1
4(7k+1)=4(71+1)=32
32 is divisible by 8

Inductive step
assume 4(7j+1) for j=k and that it is true.
We need to show that 4(7j+1+1) is true as well.
4(7j+1+1)=4(7*7j+1)
=28*7j+4=4(7j+1)+24*7j
by the inductive hypothesis 4(7j+1) is divisible by 8
24*7j is also divisible by 8 as the former is a multiple of the latter.
Therefore 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8

nistaria said:
Thanks for your input statdad, anything is appreciated! Knowing my teacher, she would look into specifics as well and that's why I had to ask.

I was thinking of proving that statement with another case by induction
( I gave up trying to use latex code, it's really messing up on me and not outputting the correct notations)

We are to prove that 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8 for k is a positive integer

Base step
k=1
4(7k+1)=4(71+1)=32
32 is divisible by 8

Inductive step
assume 4(7j+1) for j=k and that it is true.
We need to show that 4(7j+1+1) is true as well.
4(7j+1+1)=4(7*7j+1)
=28*7j+4=4(7j+1)+24*7j
by the inductive hypothesis 4(7j+1) is divisible by 8
24*7j is also divisible by 8 as the former is a multiple of the latter.
Therefore 4(7k+1) is divisible by 8

More than I expected :)

I was thinking that if you could argue [tex] 7^k + 1 [/tex] is always even, then

[tex]
7^k + 1 = 2m
[/tex]

for some integer m, so [tex] 4\left(7^k + 1 \right) = 8m [/tex] is divisible by 8.

statdad said:
More than I expected :)

I was thinking that if you could argue [tex] 7^k + 1 [/tex] is always even, then

[tex]
7^k + 1 = 2m
[/tex]

for some integer m, so [tex] 4\left(7^k + 1 \right) = 8m [/tex] is divisible by 8.
Oh I like that.. very simple and effective!
Thanks for the input, I am much obliged.

You could state that the product of two or more odd numbers is itself odd, that should be enough.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any given natural number, it must also be true for the next one.

2. How is mathematical induction used?

Mathematical induction is often used to prove theorems and equations in mathematics. It is particularly useful for proving statements about sequences, series, and patterns.

3. Can you provide an example of mathematical induction?

One example of mathematical induction is proving that the sum of the first n natural numbers can be expressed as n(n+1)/2. We can start by showing that the statement is true for n=1 (1=1(1+1)/2). Then, assuming it is true for n=k, we can show that it must also be true for n=k+1 (k+1)(k+2)/2 = (k(k+1)/2) + (k+1) = (k+1)(k+2)/2).

4. What are the steps to using mathematical induction?

The steps to using mathematical induction are as follows:

• Base case: Show that the statement is true for the first natural number.
  • Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number, k.
  • Inductive step: Use the inductive hypothesis to show that the statement is true for the next natural number, k+1.
  • Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

5. What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction include:

• Forgetting the base case or not proving it correctly.
  • Assuming that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number, without specifying which one.
  • Using circular reasoning, where the inductive step assumes the statement is true, but the statement is also used to prove the inductive step.
  • Not considering all possible cases, leading to an incomplete proof.